Handgun FMJ/TMJ; which brand

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

What is favorite brand of FMJ/TMJ rounds?

Winchester White Box
50%
Hornady Steel Match
13%
Federal American Eagle
13%
CCI Blazer
25%
Black Hills
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 8

Handgun FMJ/TMJ; which brand

Postby mccree79 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:47 am

Which Brand of FMJ/TMJ do you guys like to use at the range. Anybody do competition shooting?
mccree79
hunter

Re: Handgun FMJ/TMJ; which brand

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:26 pm

I've shot better groups out of my both my M&P's (9mm and .40s&w) with the winchester white box than anything else. The worst were CCI Blazers. They went bang everytime but wouldn't group worth a hoot.
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby mccree79 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:58 pm

I have had no issue with Blazer's. But I have noticed that only Beretta and Glock users seem to be fans of it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2.
mccree79
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:39 am

Winchester & Remington brass if you reload, other wise the one that cost the less if you are just going to let the shells stay on the ground.
Today there are a lot of companys going to steel shells to keep cost down,but they are a one time load. I have yet to try them
but they are for practice mainly.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm

For factory fodder I usually shoot WWB as the brass is top notch and I shoot primarily reloads so I can augment old & lost casings with new. Other brands are good as well but I avoid CCI at all costs as their brass totally sucks and the loads are dirty as heck.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:46 am

I go with the federal american eagle, it seems to be loaded hotter (thru a chrono), more accurate and no issues. I also like Blazer aluminum case when I shoot where I can not pick up my brass. I refuse to waste my money on the winchester white box. (there are 2 types of the white box ammo too Nato and USA) I have sent no less than 50 bad rounds of this crap back to winchester over a course of a year shooting IDPA. kinked brass, cocked bullets, rolled over mouths, sideways primers, duds etc. my cousin had the same experiencs as did most everyone I shoot with that has tried it. I was getting at least 1-3 bad rounds per 100 round box from the W store. I now order all my ammo thru Natchez due to their great sale prices.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:08 am

That Federal American Eagle is pretty good stuff. I shot Al cased Blazers where I couldn't collect brass and wasn't allowed to use handloads.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Target Shooting