One of those BAD shooting days

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

One of those BAD shooting days

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Shot sporting clays thursday and completely lost my mind aparently :huh: usually shoot 100 rounds and score in the 80's on a pretty hard course. Mind you we do not really shoot in a serious way, A lot of joking, laughing and poking :umm: at the shooter on station but our group does it for fun and have no intention of making it serious. But last time out we only shot 50 trying to beat the storm that was fast aproaching and it did not go well. Not one guy broke 30 on what I would call an easy course, The only difference was that 2 of us used our semi's rather than taking the chance of getting the O/U's all wet. All you can do is sit back and wonder what happened :no:

Anyone else ever have a bad shooting day and wonder what went wrong? :crying:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: One of those BAD shooting days

Postby ibedamn » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:10 am

If people are honest, I think everybody has had bad days...I know I sure have. But, if you look at pro athletes, even the greatest also have bad days. If it was simple to figure out, with the money invested in pro sports, they would have already figured it out and fixed all bad performances. The only thing I get from watching sports is when a super star has a bad day, they talk about having a short memory. I translate that to forget the misses and focus on the hits. I even try to visualize the exact picture of what I was doing on a hit. Matter of fact, the book called "The Inter Game of Tennis" helped me more mentally, than any gun related publication ever did. The key to reading this book, is to insert the proper word (what ever is the most important fundamental for the particular shooting discipline) for the tennis ball. In clay shooting the ball would be read as the bird.

To get back to your topic, yes I have had bad days, but that sure does make the good days seem even better.
ibedamn
hunter

Re: One of those BAD shooting days

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:23 am

Some times what you wear and what gun you shoot will cause your patterns to shift.

If you get some time take both guns out and mount with a t-shirt and then a light jacket with out pockets on the gun side!!
Nothing worse than a "frigging pocket" that hangs up on the gun butt...............

Might be as small a problem of not getting the cheek down on the stock with the same pressure? Thats what keeps you
on your toes on every outing. I had a bad day shooting a 1oz load of # 8.5 at 1310fps one trip.............all those pellets
and I shot the lowest score on last years outing, you never know whats going to happen. They might have been too light energy wise for the ranges but how do you know,for sure?

My 391 auto shoots just a tad higher than my O/U and I have learned to hold at a 6 o'clock point on some of the birds at
certain angles and distances...............other wise it is a miss or chipped clay. However I don't change the fit since it is dead on with my duck loads, which are the ones that count.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Target Shooting