League Trap Shooting

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

League Trap Shooting

Postby War Wagon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Our team had a good Tues night. We shot 115X125 from the 27yrd line. Took all 5 points. :grooving:
a 25,24,23,23,and a 20. Yep i suck got one of the 23's :sad:
War Wagon
hunter

Re: League Trap Shooting

Postby 3200 man » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:47 pm

War Wagon you must be sandbagging , trying to set-up those other teams for some serious cash ,are you ? LOL
That's some pretty good shoot-n ,were you guys useing a IC choke ? I have read where 25's are shot with one ,from 27 yds .
Team shooting is alot of fun ,with a squad made-up of friends it gives everyone a good sence of competition and makes you
bow your neck when you shoot registered targets . Then it's fun time with everyone after the shoot , Who buys the Beer !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:45 pm

clay,skeet and trap leagues are a lot of fun..............here in Reno they are shot under the flood light at night
with the first round still with day light. You can shoot them all since one is on wensday,then thursday and clays on friday.

If one of the squads is short a man you might be asked to fill in and shoot on two teams that night............but if you shoot a higher score for the "Other team" you might get a ribbing from your team.

At half time some clubs let you shoot a "Oakley" or "Cluster" at the 28 yard line with a $5 fee and last shooter that breaks a bird grabs the cash. Not too shabby if there are 40-45 shooters.

Shoots usually last six to eight weeks with a bbq steak dinner on the finall night and awards to the top three teams and shooters but that is up to each club and its members on what works.

A score of 22 or more at the 27 is a nice score and means that you have good shooting skills. It takes lots of practice to get to the 24 and 25 scores but it can be done.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:16 pm

I use a Hastings Extened choke with .038 restriction . Very tighe choke but I can dirt roll them from there. Best I ever did was a 98 from the 27yrd line. I guy just gets in a "zone" but that "zone" is hard to find sometimes :lol3:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:36 pm

You can say that again ! Where are you ,ZONE, when I need you . All we can do ,is keep shooting and try to remember the
mechanics that got us there ,on the back fence . .038 choke , WOW , you like-em tight .I believe you ,when you center punch
one , it does drift away with the breeze . Good Shooting !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:14 am

I have a H.S.Strut " the Undertaker" in Super Full turkey choke, that I have used back at the 27 yard
handicap which hits the birds hard but with the heavy constriction on the soft lead pellets, I do get a
few flyers ..... and some test on paper have shown a few bad patterns , just enough to switch to the
Full choke when numbers count, but the turkey does smoke them if you get every thing right.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:24 am

I'm not that good with tight -tight chokes , in my Brownings with the .742 barrel I do better with the .025 constriction and
in the Beretta I use a .032 .Shooting at 27 yds with the Win Super HC loads , I can smoke 50 percent of the targets but ,just
breaking them is the game and I'll take a chip anyday for a win ! Now , when we are shooting for money in pot shoots all the
way back at 40 to 55 yds from the trap house ,I bring out the Old Reliable Mod 12 30" with the .036 choke ,shooting Buffered
loads of 5's and 4's .I don't like looseing and haveing to buy the Beer ,it always taste better when someone else is ,Buying !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:56 pm

Been there,done that.................

Have shot from on top of the benches, back at the trees and have even been so far down the small hill leading "UP" to the
HDCP cement station that you could not see the trap house!!

This is when a lot of "Kentucky windage" comes in to play. It is a killer for someone that is doing for the first time..........
Really plays with your mind and yes those high speed #8's are not worth a tinkers darn back at these ranges.

5"s and 4's...............?? Mercy !! I though my #6's were over kill. :bow:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:42 pm

6's 5's or 4's , they are all good . You just have to be able to hold them together . It's interesting to see what chokes do to a
pattern at those distances and by adding something to hold them together ,is something else . I know after trying to
compete with these old hands that shoot alot that ,if you don't have the goods ,you are going to be watching more than you'll
be shooting .
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:20 am

I did the buffer thing with fast loads, they work, just a pain to have to do each sell at a time. I usually
pull down the old Mec Jr. off the shelf for these types of loads since the 360 is usless. I do know one thing.......
try not to spill Precision's spherical buffer on the reloading table.You will have stuff "Walking away" as
if by magic !! Any thing on top of this will move with the slightest vibration; freaked me out the first time it happened to me.

One reason that I shoot loads at 1200fps or lower for these shoots....... My favorite 27 yard load "Sleeper" is magnum 7.5's at 1165fps w/o buffer . This load is slow enough,that the pellets do not deform much and I get great patters. I also shoot the same 7.5's at 1200fps with Green Dot but have as yet to pattern test this new load that can break 25 at this HDCP yardage.

For some odd reason my O/U does not shoot well with 1230-1250fps loads at the maximum ranges. I have tried both top & bottom with mod and full chokes but usually end up with a score of 22 with 8's or 7 1/2's. I have used RedDot,e3, unique,clays and universal cays at maximum loads, to no avail, with the 1 1/8oz payload.
Never put the loads on paper but it might let me know where the heck the pattern is going !!

I did notice that the larger shot can work at lower velositys with its higher energys and ability to cut through the air better than the smaller shot, while also patterning well at "Sonic" warp speeds with the help of some buffer..............but only in my hunting guns. They are not hand scrolled,inlaided and pretty with a gold trigger but they get the job done.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:27 am

Sage ,
I'm with you on that ,I don't shoot hypervelosity loads with Buffer .My favorite loads are 1200 to 1230 fps and they do
stay together out to about 50 yds ,then it's a little luck from there out . Once you get passed 60 yds ,it's the golden BB that
wins you the money or Beers . My standard HC and Sporting reload is 18 grs or 700 X 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's and a Win primer .
I 've had some good luck with this load ,as it holds together real nice with a .025 choke in my 425 32" Browning as well as my
391 and Maxus .I started useing Super HC factory shells ,when I'm lazy or out of town at a Sporting Clays shoot but , after a
couple hundred targets a day ,it takes it's toll . For me ,I've have never seen a target (with-in Shotgun distance) that couldn't
be broken with a good patterning 1200 ft load . There have been times in the higher elevations areas ,that I've competed at
anything faster than 1150 fps was a waste ,better patterns was more important because alot of targets ( rockets,mini's and
rabbits ) were on edge and really hard to break if not centered in a dence pattern .
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:35 am

Rabbits, did someone say Rabbits........................

I wove Waabits !!

Just too bad our Sporting clays is set up with only one ( 1 ) ,I say one rabbit out of 100 birds !!

One reason that 5 stand gets more shooters, in order to practice this type of shot.

Went out yesterday (7/1/12) and finished up all my trap load testing. My best loads in my O/U was a
7/8oz 8 at 1145 and a 1oz 8 at 1180 in the top barrel with a mod choke for 25's at the 16 yard line. These
were recycled 8's so I was happy to get a good score, a full choke smoked them but also missed one or two
for what ever reasons? The 7/8oz load also picked two birds off just befor they hit the dirt "Ala 16yd Oakley"
style of shooting so the patterns must hold up pretty well. One more HDCP load to test and then I will have to dream something up.........................here bucket list.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:48 pm

Food for thought !
A 1200 FPS load is traveling 800 MPH so, when a target goes flying out of the trap-house at 40 to 45 MPH it doesn't take long
for the shot cloud to catch-up to the target .Now , if the target gets out to ( let's say) 45 yds + before you shoot ,then we have
a problem with pattern density.This is the same as shooting with a more open choke at longer distances,the shot velosity is
there to break the target but,there isn't enough pellets in the pattern to give us a greater percentage that it will break.
Sage is giving some good info here ,by useing 8.5's and 8's in his 7/8's oz loads he has as many or more pellets in his pattern
at the distances he's shooting his targets ,than most Super HC loads and with the soft recoil of the 7/8 oz load with a .025 choke
he's able to stay in the gun and have a good day shooting . Now , if we say WAABITS ,on edge or rockets or batues , GOOD LUCK !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:52 pm

I look at loads in two ways........................energy and pellet count.

A 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's has +/- 393 pellets
a 1oz load of #8's has around 410 pellets
a 7/8oz of 8 1/2's has around 425 pellets so with the right choke at the correct range that 30" diamiter pattern should
be pretty close to one another.

a 7/8oz of #9's has 512 pellets but I limit it to 35 yards at best and prefer 25 yards for good breaks on "Soft birds"
I agree on the #8's for best all around shooting but if you have a gun,choke and style that gets on the birds it sure is sweet to see what a load of 7 1/2's will do to a clay bird!
I really enjoy what a clay looks like , when a full choke of 7.5's hits it in the center at around 30 yards..............however I
let my game birds get farther out before pulling the triger. :thumbsup:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:25 am

I was out shooting Pigeons with my perazzi MX 12 34" the other day and with 1 oz of 7 1/2's at 1230 fps ,I could kill them DOA
at 50 to 55 yds with a .030 choke.Then ,birds were trying to get back to the Mill so ,I changed chokes to a LM (.015) and a IM
(.025) for the aveage shot of 35 to 45 yds .After shooting for 4 hours in the morning I thought ,Why would a guy need more
choke than that if he was hunting upland birds ? So ,if the game birds are getting up any farther than 45 yds ,maybe so but,
if they are flushing inside 35 I think IC (.010) is better .

What do you think ,inlight-n Me ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:18 am

Way back in 1960 when I was very young with quick reflexes and fantastic eye hand quardination, I could shoot a
jumped quail, before my Father and his friends could mount their guns. Actually shot one so close the dog would not even retreave the bloody pulp,split up the back and laying on a holly bush,slowly dripping blood.

A 20Ga with a I/C or Mod choke was all that I needed back then................and today for walking the fields and flushing birds
or on a water hole for some doves, you will find a I/C choke in my guns. If going for larger birds like chuckar I will use a Modified since they can run aways before flushing and some shots can be at 40 yards or more.

I have shot 1oz loads of 7 1/2's at 1180 but nothing faster.............but I do know that at 1290 fps the pellets will kill
farther out than most people are able to shoot corretly. I had a friend that shot a chuckar running on the other side of a gully
and 30 yards up the hill,across from where he was standing and the range was around 65 yards. He told me he aimed 6-8 feet in front of the bird !

Two of my favorite guns for the field are a .410 pump and a Auto-5 12Ga but they both have a fixed factory full choke barrel,so I have to let the others shoot first and I get my turn if any thing is still flying at 30 yards or more......................
Yes the I/C choke does have its advantages.

Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Hey Sage , That looks like a Mod 12 28 ga ,tell me I'm wrong ( red hull) ? I'm liking you more ,everytime I read your Commits !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:57 am

Red 28Ga hull.....................

"Cudda,Wooda,Shudda" got one of those too.................
but no that is just a little plain Jane,stock .410 that my father got for us boys when we started shooting around the age of
twelve or so. Keeping it around for the grand kids in case they might want to get into shooting. Right now they just want to shoot 22's and 38's and 100gr 30-06 target/rabbit loads...........reduced recoil naturally !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:31 pm

You are saying that a Winchester 42 ? That single shot ....could it be a Winchester 37 ?
War Wagon
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Sage ,
You have been kind to that 42 ,it's in really good shape .You like Myself can only hope that our Treasure Chest can be used
and taken care of ,like we have done over the years ! I have fed my family with them ,for over 50 years too .
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:01 pm

War wagon ;

I have a 42 and 61 mod win pump.................. one is a 3" .410 the other a .22 short.long & Long Rifle.
The 12 Ga win pump was wore out and traded for my newer Browning O/U.

I sort of like Winchesters and Brownings..................I think the mod 12 and A-5 are two of the best designed shotguns ever made for the smokeless powder era.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:08 pm

I love the Winchester Model 12's :smile:
Attachments
Dads guns 001.JPG
Dads guns 002.JPG
War Wagon
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:43 pm

WarWagon ,
That's a good collection of mod 12's .Is that a 3 " chambered one ( the second from the bottom) ? I love those rascals too ,and
have my share also ,with WS1's,Traps and a assortment of field guns in all gauges .I even have a old Riot mod 12 by my bed loaded waiting for some action ,if someone is willing to drop by unannounced ! YES , I live in California and as they say ,You
can have them ,when you pull them from my Dead Cold Hands , any takers ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:08 pm

3" Heavy Duck Gun 1957 solid rib
Attachments
Dads guns 010.JPG
Dads guns 009.JPG
War Wagon
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:45 am

War Wagon,

That is a fine looking Mod 12 3" . What is the barrel length ? And , could you tell me ,if it has a .036 choke ?

I have one also in 3", with a 28" barrel and I opened the choke up to .017 .With 1 1/4 oz of 1's or BB's , it is a far shooting
gun. I love watching fellas when I bring this rascal out ,I always get a remark from someone like ,You shouldn't shoot steelshot
through that OLD Gun it's to pretty ! But , if they only knew how many waterfowl this ( OLD GUN ) has put on my dinner table .
I'm not to hip with all the marketing crap we hear , all I do know is , if you can shoot straight with the gun you're useing ,you
are usually the one with the most birds .
3200 man
hunter

Return to Target Shooting