One Eye or Two?

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

One Eye or Two?

Postby TopWop » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:24 pm

I am sure this has been discussed before, haven't seen it
though.

How many of you shot with one eye closed for a long time
then switched to both open? Any tips on how? Do you think
it made you a better shot? If so how/why?

I'm thinking of making the switch...well at least open
one eye anyway.
TopWop
hunter

Re: One Eye or Two?

Postby vpadfsu » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:13 pm

Whichever one you can break skeet with consistently...
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:23 am

Always both eyes open with a shotgun...and it is he preferred method with a rifle and a handgun as well. With both open you have binocular vision that gives you the depth perception necessary to judge the distance to the target or bird in order to allow the proper lead. As long as one is not cross eye dominant both eyes open is the proper way to shoot.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:08 pm

Its a hard habit to break but once you do its just a natural thing. You master eye will do all the work for you. If it goes "BANG" there both open
War Wagon
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:23 pm

It is pretty simple...a shotgun is pointed, not aimed, as the eye is basically the rear sight and is supposed to look down the barrel at the target. Once the shooter closes the off eye he/she is aiming the shotgun and loses depth perception as well as angle and speed of the target. Unless the shooter is cross dominant when they look down the rib at the target and assuming a properly fitted gun and a good mount the dominant eye will take over and he will see the target floating above the rib. The off eye will cause an "other" rib or barrel to appear to the side but if the shooter is concentrating on the target as he/she should be doing this "other" barrel is of no significance and is subconsciencely ignored.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby augerin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:51 pm

It's a pretty simple concept once you make your mind up it can be done. Most one eye shooters stated of as rifle shooters and that's the way we all learned. Now think about it like this, do you drive down the street with one eye. Do you eat your dinner with one eye. Do you work with one eye. The answer is probly no. If your having problems with eye dominance, take a pair of dedicated shooting glasses and using a small patch of scotch tape over the dominat eye to help block it. I know this works. I was a one eyed shooter for the longest time and decided to make it work. It took about 3 months and I almost gave up trying to change years of doing it the other way, but one day it all came together and I haven't looked back.Here's a couple of Articles on eye dominance and setting up the patch and a you-tube vid to help. Hope this help's. Good Luck :beer:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... +dominance

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun ... you-choose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVayKuQ ... re=related

Heres what it looks like with both eye's open, click on the Todd Bender Skeet vid..

http://sunrisevideo.com/catalog.asp?c=skeet
augerin
hunter

One Eye or Two?

Postby yareelohim » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:12 am

I grew up shooting with one eye closed.

When I began bird hunting I learned (on my own) both eyes open helped a lot more.

I began shooting rifle and pistol with both eyes open and saw my groupings shrink.

Once I entered the police academy...they stressed both eyes open with many different techniques as well.

Both eyes open have made me a much better shot with decent groupings.

This was a precision pre-qualify target with both eyes open.
36 rounds w/ Sig .45 ACP
3 yard hip shot x 12 rounds
7 yard standing x 12 rounds
15 yard standing x 12 rounds

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346220082.166615.jpg

This is the timed qualify with both eyes open and running. Groups start to fall apart once you add stress...lol.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346220670.886598.jpg
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:38 pm

I shoot with both eyes opened on all weapons, even scoped rifles.
I can toggle my eye dominance at will. It's a handy trick when shooting varmints.
tucker301
hunter

Postby TopWop » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Well I clicked on one of the links and did the little
test. It appears I'm cross eye dominant. Thanks for
the input. Soooo, for the time being I'm gonna
have to keep shooting one eyed until I do some more
research. Thanks again.
TopWop
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:57 pm

I have a few shotguns and love to shoot clays. I started shooting 4 years ago and used to close my left eye because I am right eye dominant. Now with much practice I use both eyes. I feel with a shotgun you want to mount the gun correctly so you are looking down the barrel but not starring down the bead. I yell pull find the target them mount the gun and focus my eyes on the target and it becomes instinct breaking the bird. I took my mossberg 500 to the stirring clay course and shot a 44/50 after the 4th time out this year. In the end, I think both eyes after you get the right gun and practice and feel more comfortable.
Baher20018
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:42 am

Both eyes open for me, I do not even have to think about it and it is so much easier to pick up clays with both eyes open. also if you close one eye you loose depth preception and that is a big factor in judging lead or hold over on a target.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Joe Guide » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:00 am

Nash Buckingham said "use both eyes God gave you when wingshooting".

Annie Oakley said she was asked that same question (one eye or two in shotgun shooting) perhaps ten - fifty times after every skeet or trap shoot or after her appearances in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Shows, and she firmly believed that two eyes "were best" kept open in shooting clays, live pigeons, or wingshooting.

Mark Arie who was said to be a greater wingshot than Nash, and of course was an Olympic shotgun gold medalist in the 1920 games, felt that "one eye" was best in competion in live pigeon shoots, or in skeet or trap shooting.

Best Regards,

JOE GUIDE :thumbsup:
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Return to Target Shooting