having some trouble

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

having some trouble

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:11 pm

ok so we went out and tossed some clays yesterday, and i've found that i have a problem i can't seem to fix... when we they are thrown from my right side crossing to the left, i have no problems at all getting them... however when they are coming from the left and crossing to my right, i cant seem to hit them at all... it just feels wrong... is there any thing i can do to fix this?... (im right handed if that helps)

thanks
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby sculling Oar » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:41 pm

I shoot ATA trap
You are lifting your head off the stock and looking at the bird not keeping your cheek on the stock and following through with the bird. Try forcing your self , to keep in contact and looking down the beeds follow through the bird getting a lead and pulling the trigger.

It dosn't take much to lift your head, and your shooting over the bird
the old saying in ATA, keep the wood to wood, your head and the stock

I know every one does it. so do I
good luck
sculling Oar
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:07 pm

Johnson,

do you shoot with one eye closed?
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:24 pm

no i even checked that out because i thought it would make sense if they were coming from my left and i had my left eye closed... im going to double check that im keeping my cheek on the stock next time we go... and i guess i just need to keep practicing with targets coming from my left... thanks guys i do appreciate it... :thumbsup:
or maybe i'll call it good and always set up so ducks come in from my right :getdown:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:09 pm

practice practice practice.....I know you have heard that 1000 times, might as well make it 1001. :getdown: :yes:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby xfps » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:37 pm

Dominate eye problem? Take a piece of tape and cover the left lense, at least threw center. Try shooting if its better then your left eye dominate if it says the same you got issue listed above.
xfps
hunter

Postby tjkellyc4 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:38 am

i had the same problem but i soon learned thatt i was always shooting over them. if you really focus on keeping your head down and following through the rock, it helps tremendously.
tjkellyc4
hunter

Postby DaveO » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:46 am

I would have to agree on the eye thing,,,that is very imprtant on shots like that.

And so is your footing,,,,that is something you may want to look at.

It is realy hard to know forsure,,,,Not being abel to see you shoot.

But common stuff like keeping both of your eyes open and foot stance are easy to forget.

Some times when I find myself not hitting a target very well,,,I allways think back to the basics...seems like the basics are the most easy to forget.

If you every shoot north of the cities and need a hand let me know and I can spend a few hours with you,,,if you would like.

Good luck
Shut up and Shoot
DaveO
Newb

Postby maltzie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:20 pm

A common problem for a begining right handed shooter. With the target moving to your left, even if you are moving the gun wrong.... the gun with your arms, you are still driving the stock back into your cheek. To the right you are pushing the stock away from your anchor point/cheek. Try to learn basic form of moving the gun from the body and not the arms. For a right handed shooter our control/dominate hand is your right hand gripping the stock. The left hand and arm is just a pivot point. Your dominate right eye must look down and or over the rib during the shot process and remain in control of the pointing. Any crossover and you will miss all targets, clay of with feathers.

Spend a summer shooting any of the target disiplines on a weekly basis. Develop your skills by practice and try to gain a consistant form and practiced enough to carry on over into your hunting. In my 50 years of shooting I have yet to find a truly natural shooter never needing experience or advise. There many that have great hand to eye coordination, an advantage, but shooting targets or critters will develop skill.

Good luck.....shoot trap to develop mental or disiplined skills, skeet to develop lead and follow, clays to develop target recognition. The shooting games can become addictive, expensive and in time as important as the hunting. All of the people I have the greatest respect for, carry guns.

Maltzie
have gun will travel
maltzie
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:52 pm

Im going to be one to say don't worry about dominate eye problems too much.... I had heard that stuff and I checked it out. Turns out that I am right eye dominate but left handed.
Ive had bad days like anyone, but other than that I have to say Im regularly above average.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby TFK » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:46 pm

Make sure you're stance is comfortable and that you aren't running out of room to swing the gun. That causes alot of misses on the Clays range.
TFK
hunter

Return to Target Shooting