1st time shooting skeet...

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

1st time shooting skeet...

Postby TopWop » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Well that was humbling. I shoot trap from time to time.
I must say I had a blast. I missed a lot, I also surprised
myself with some doubles. I was using my new a400.
A regular there said that waterfowl guns tend to shoot
low. Is there a different POA/POI set up on field/skeet/
waterfowl guns? I was thinking it might be best to get an
O/U mostly for skeet. I'm pretty tapped after getting
the last gun. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.
Thanks
TopWop
hunter

Re: 1st time shooting skeet...

Postby 3200 man » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:12 am

If you want your gun to shoot lower ,loosen the top screw on the recoil pad far enough to slip a nickle between the pad
and stock , tight'en it back-up , now it will pattern maybe 30/70 .

An Old-time trick !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:43 am

As 3200 said.............
where the gun patterns/shoots is a matter of stock fit,cheek pressure and a few other things.

Lots of shooters use a semi auto to shoot skeet,trap and clays, just a matter of getting the gun to fit you......
guns sent out of a factory are set up for the "Average Joe Blow" and you might need to tweek it a little for it to shoot better for you.

The O/U does have the advantage of having TWO different CHOKES at hand for you to select but generally a skeet or modified choke will break 90% of all your birds, when you get things right.

Good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 pm

With the different shims, it's impossible to know how it shoots for you out of the box. Go shoot at a patterning board and make a determination where it's shooting. For skeet people generally use a 50/50 ratio (50 percent of pellets above, 50 percent below the aim point). For trap it's anywhere from 60/40 - 80/20, and for sporting a good starting point is 60/40. In trap they do that because the bird is always rising, and they don't ever want the barrel covering the bird. They "float" the bird on top of the barrel. In skeet, the bird is crossing, so normally you want to cover the bird and pull the trigger. With sporting, birds can come from any direction or orientation, so they set it up slightly high so you don't cover rising birds, but still can get underneath falling birds. I set up my waterfowl guns slightly high, say 55/45 or 60/40. I shoot a lot of sporting clays and want my sight picture to look the same.

Long story short, go pattern your gun and adjust from there.
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:53 pm

If your looking for a cheaper O/U i recommend the Stoeger Condor with 28" barrels and 12 gauge/ Or If you want even more range ( More for trap than skeet) Id get the Stoeger Longfowler with 30 inch barrels and swapable mod. and full chokes. I own Both and there amazing guns. Nothing too beautiful, but they look good and shoot better.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Next trip out shove a skeet or Cylinder choke in your gun and a 1oz of #9 shot or a slow 1 1/8oz of 9 or 8's at 1145fps
and see if your score improves any.

Don't stop swinging that barrel.......................

good shooting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Target Shooting