ran low of lead shot

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

ran low of lead shot

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 am

Finally had to get some more lead shot for this season of shooting............

Thought I could do better on line but with the shipping prices vs the state tax, it comes down to actually, who has it !!

50 pounds of #8 and 50 pounds of # 7.5 magnum Lawrence on the plastic at $191. I tried to find some good recycled lead
shot but I am not going to pay $31 a bag for it..............when new mag is $41 a bag, 2 bags shp chg at $13.50 +/-.

Good luck to all that reload and hope you find low prices for your areas and materials.
Sagebrush
hunter

Re: ran low of lead shot

Postby War Wagon » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:34 pm

New shot in Green Bay is $38 to $40 a bag. Powder is hard to get and Federal primers are extinct. :sad:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:48 am

Yes , the primer is the BIG Problem.....................

ANY 209 would be nice at this time !!

I would have to swallow my pride and pay the "Haz" fee if they keep it up for a few months longer
at my stores in the area. Down to 500 primers as of today and only 5 flats of loaded shells.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:03 pm

I'm almost out and have no plans to buy any.
I have some dripper shot someone gave me a few years ago thats pretty ugly, time to see how it loads and patterns.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Paid $40 for a bag of magnum #9 today. None of my wholesalers have any primers, powder or Shot to ship me. might save the 200# of 8 shot I have left and buy some loaded ammo. Dunhams usually has sales in the $54 a case range so I might have to break down and grab a few cases of the gun club or top gun until the shot prices come back down. If I remember right 25# gets me 350 rounds of 1-1/8 loads. or 400 1 oz loads. :no:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:32 pm

From what I understand is , all the Manufactures have to do is create a shortage of one component and we are screwed ?
This has been in the making , also , with the increase in the price of ammo , it makes us feel good just to find some and
we'll buy it , at what-ever price .

Fighting 2 battle fronts is NO fun , with the Government trying to restrict what we own and the factories making us scrounge
for reloading supplies so they can raise prices ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:19 am

3200 man wrote: the factories making us scrounge for reloading supplies so they can raise prices ?

There is just not enough supply for the Hoarders that bought up everything they could get their hands on. This in turn drives the price or "rare" items to a premium. Lead on the other hand is just stupid. I have 8 bags left that all have tags of $12.99 on them. but I am told that China has been buying scrap lead from the US at higher than normal rates for the past few years which pushed up the price.

The powder suppliers are sending all the powder they can make to their biggest customers, The ammunition factories, and we reloaders have to deal with whatever is left over and hits the market. One of my reloading supplies wholesalers tells me that they have 8 to 12 months of backorders to fill for bullets, powder and primers so If I place 1000 pound order it would take well over a year before it ships. :mad:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:58 am

You are right-on Waterfowhunter , Like the old saying goes , you can't make the Cake , if one ingredient is missing !

Look for all ammo costs to go up 15 to 20 percent , it's a shame greed always shows it's ugly head ?

We are fools and the Big Manufactures know it !
3200 man
hunter

Return to Target Shooting