First trap shoot of the year

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

First trap shoot of the year

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Drove out to the trap club and signed up for the shoot at 9:20am
Had a cup of coffee and was saying high to all my friends and other shooters that had come out for the event.
We usually start shooting a little after 10am but for some reason the other members of my team did not show up.
I was asked to join another team since they were short two shooters and said, you betcha............
They were on the 4th go round so we did not shoot til around 11:20 and for some odd reason my first few shots sounded pretty light. I guess 5 hours of sitting in the car in 32 degree weather is not the best thing in the world for shotgun shells.

I took a box of shells back to the trap club and dumped the shells on our table to soak up the 78 degree indoor weather and two hours later on the handicap round they actually sounded like shotgun shells!! Even with the 32* weather and 15-20 mph North wind I only droped two birds. Lesson learned...........never use cold ammo.
My ammo for singles at 1145 fps was probably only going around 1110 fps and a #8 does not work well on frozed targets and I grabbed a 3 Dram 7 1/2 load for the HDCP with out even hesitating.

Good shooting,boys and girls.
Sagebrush
hunter

Re: First trap shoot of the year

Postby 3200 man » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:45 pm

I know most re-loaders are on the hunt for components and a lot it can't be found but , try finding loaded ammo ? Shotgun
shells have never been the issue , with all the political crap going on these days . With target season fast approaching ,a guy needs
to stock-up but , there is none , WHY ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:07 pm

You are right................I don't understand it.

No one uses trap loads for self defense !!
.......... Mostly #8 or 7 1/2's. I can see 00 buck shot !!

I will give it a month to calm down........then start reloading again........plenty of wads out there and thats what I am short of.

Good luck getting supplys.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 am

Went online last night...there are a few major places that have the cheapo tin base "Gun Club" type ammo for around $69-80 a flat but the good brass hulls are still missing except for the Fed GM that are going for over $99 which I will not pay.

Lots of #8's and a few 7 1/2's to be had........... $7.10 a box was the lowest price per box at "Cheaper....." but I only checked five places. No 7.5 @ 1145......... Don't bother with Midway or Natchez.

later.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Target Shooting