Center Point scopes

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Center Point scopes

Postby Duck Collector » Wed May 01, 2013 5:19 pm

I got a center point 3-9x40 scope that came with a .22 pellet gun and i was wondering if it would hold a zero on a old savage 30-06. Dosent matter if its a good brand or not to me, its just something im gonna throw on a gun that i can chase hogs out in the marsh with anyways so i didnt want to put any $ into a expensive scope. Thanks
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Re: Center Point scopes

Postby nnorem7618 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Last edited by nnorem7618 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nnorem7618
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Fri May 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Yes....i did consider it. Centerpoint has their exact same scopes they use for rifles as they do pellet guns. And i have been using it and works just fine. I have a Centerpoint scope that came on a pellet gun AND it shoots a 2" group at 200 yds....on a 30-06.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:08 am

nnorem7618 wrote:You are honestly considering putting a pellet gun scope on a 30-06? Scopes that come with pellet guns are made specially for the low recoil, and putting it on something with as much recoil as a 30-06 would screw it up. You would have to re-sight it after each shot... Not a good idea. :rolleyes:

Just the opposite is true. Modern pellet rifles are hard on scopes due to the way they recoil. a lot of cheap scopes you can put on a center fire rifle would be ruined on a high powered air rifle. Air rifles have a rearward AND forward recoil pulse and I have seen them cause scopes to come apart inside.

That scope will be fine on your 30-06.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:16 am

Google it, "Air rifle scopes recoil damage"

many people have found out the hard way that taking the scope off their deer rifle and putting it on their air rifle, It becomes Junk after about 25 rounds.

Air rifles will often move the scope in the mounts or move the mounts on the gun too. that is why they make extra "stops" for our scope and rail specifically for air rifles.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Target Shooting