Duck Hunting Forum banner

Trap Ammo

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Cliner 
#1 ·
Anybody else having trouble finding the cheap stuff by the case? I usually shop at Rogers. They are out, so are all the other places I looked for online. I was really wanting to try those Rio shells. Didn't know where the best place to buy them would be though. I have been shooting the Federal Cheap'o stuff at $55 a case. Any ideas of where to find comparable prices?

#6 ·
Cliner said:
Thanks for the responses. I'll have to call that J and S place. From what I see, they don't have online ordering or a website? This problem is just inching me closer and closer to reloading my own.
If you're' looking at 12 gauge it barely breaks even with current prices. Lead is $38 a bag - best I've been able to find and that is with a group buy. It's highly regional though.

The only reason I do it is because I have about 5000 hulls so that negates the price and my equipment has paid for itself. If you are looking at investing in equipment you're looking to spend about a 1000 if you want to "save money". Gotta buy components as 8lb powder kegs and wads / primers by the 5000 to see any cost savings (and that's if you pick them up, if you order online you get jacked hazmat fees on both primers and powder I do believe).

#7 ·
Shot here in MI is running $45 a bag and powder is scarce. I have been Buying from ***** and Dunham's for $54 a case. I am shooting gun club which shoot and pattern as good as STS in my guns at $3 a box less. It is more cost effective right now to buy them for me and my time. I still have 12 bags of shot and some of it has tags on it for $12.49 :mad:

#9 ·
Lead shot in Reno was $46 a bag last time I looked...............Flats at $62 if you can find them.

I would not worry about cost right now.............if you can find them buy ,buy,buy.

I heard a lot of ammo buying is by the "Anti-gun" people and people that re-sell later to make a profit, so
it is not going to get any better until we fix this problem .

Good luck finding ammo and components.

#10 ·
The only way you can save a few bucks is to buy in volume . Try to get some of your buddies to go in with you and order
as much as you can , otherwise all you can do is , buy from the local shop that's gouging the shooters .Sooner or later , these
so called people , will ether go broke or help us come back to normal .

#11 ·
As the ammo prices go higher, the re-sellers will either go broke or not make a profit due to low volume sales or
ammo not moving, with people getting fed up with it all and refuse to pay the "Stupid" prices.

Heard one place is selling only two boxes of ammo total ....... and primers by the 100.........not the case of 1,000.

The screws begin to tighten...............

#12 ·
Sagebrush said:
Heard one place is selling only two boxes of ammo total ....... and primers by the 100.........not the case of 1,000.quote]

There has been a 2 box limit on ammo here for about 2 months at all the big box stores. All the places that sell reloading supplies have had a 100 primer limit for about the same length of time. They have also moved all the 9mm, 223 and 22lr ammo behind the counter where it used to be out on the shelf.

#13 ·
I know I'm a little late getting back to update, but I got lazy and didn't buy any shells until Saturday. Just wanted to let everyone know about the deal at Rogers. This is ONLY IN-STORE PICKUP from what I understand. I, fortunately, live close enough to Rogers to drop by. They have a deal runnin right now for Winchester AA's for 79.99/case with a $20 rebate on each case. That drops the cases down to what I normally pay for the Federal loads. You can only buy a max of 5 cases. I bought 4 and may reload the 1000 rounds that I bought for next time, or just stock pile the hulls until I decide to start reloading.

If anyone is close enough to Rogers, I'd go check it out, they had an almost full skid left on Saturday.

:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.