what the best choke tube

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

what the best choke tube

Postby Frank73 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:58 am

I just bought a brorwning silver 12guage for waterfowl hunting. i was wondering is there was any suggestions on what brand MR, ER choke tubes would work the best. I mostly shoot 3" kents or blackcloud 2,3,4 shot. thanks for any suggestions
Frank73
hunter

Re: what the best choke tube

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue May 21, 2013 4:26 pm

As everyone that has been in this position will tell you. PATTERN YOUR GUN. A full in mine might be a IC in yours. I personally use factory Benelli chokes, Briley and Trulock. I have patterned thousands of rounds in hundreds of guns and on average a LM, Mod or even an IM works for waterfowl FOR ME. Depending on range you can even use a IC or skeet. In my guns I get the 40 yd pattern I like with BC using a Trulock IM or a Briley "goose" but I like hunting with a tighter pattern than most and am known amongst the guys I hunt with as "long shot" but I can still easily take 20 yd birds with the IM.

Brand wise I would not own a patternmaster, IMO they are over priced and do not pattern as good as a briley or truLock in my testing. You can also try the Carlsons waterfowl pack (I have one for sale for Browning) that contains the close, mid and long range chokes in a nice plastic box. You can get a great choke for well under $50

Hit the range, Hang some paper and shoot, :beer:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Frank73 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:59 am

Thanks for the reply! i also have ruled out pattern master being you can use shell that have flight control wads. That means you cant use black cloud. It seems how a days its hard to get same brand and shot when you go into a store. So i dont want a choke tube that i cant shoot a certian shell thru!!
Frank73
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 am

I never understand why people have to go out and spend money on after market chokes to test out loads..........
before they try their chokes that come with the gun ??

My Beretta chokes work just fine with my duck & geese reloads but I did get one choke.
It was an "Extended Mod." for the largest size steel that I use for geese, so there is no chance
of "Main barrel" damage...........just the $40 choke.

Ducks: I/C Geese: I/C to Full

Trap: Mod to Full. Field: generally Mod.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon May 27, 2013 8:43 am

Sagebrush wrote:I never understand why people have to go out and spend money on after market chokes to test out loads..........
before they try their chokes that come with the gun ??.....

This. My Silver, BPS, and The Maxus I had all threw very nice patterns with the factory mod tube. I bought a factory Imp mod and and extra full just so I had all of the factory chokes and the imp mod turned out to be a great choke for throwing tight patterns with steel. Unlike Waterfowlhunter, I was missing way to many of those 20 yard ducks with that tiny pattern so it stayed in the case during duck season. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon May 27, 2013 9:36 pm

I don't care what these guys say , I shoot a LM (.014 ) which is a .726 in your .740 Silver for early season birds and a
.715 choke for late season . It has worked great for me on bigger birds out to 45+ yds using 3's and 2's .

In my mind , over bored barrels rule , right C D ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue May 28, 2013 7:30 am

3200 man wrote: .....In my mind , over bored barrels rule , right C D ?

Lead or steel? With lead, the best patterning gun I own is a standard bore that was built in the 1920's. With steel, my Maxus was pretty darn good.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed May 29, 2013 7:27 am

I agree , the 391 shoots lead pretty good with the Optima barrel and a .025 constriction but , with steel Sorry !
With the Maxus steel is good and lead , so so ! I can run both types of shot through my Old Wingmasters with
good results and with the fixed choke one at .025 , it's a killer ! :smile:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Frank73 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:37 am

Hey thanks for all the suggestions. I Guess i should have added that im in WV. and most of ducks are just flying thru so there not many 35 yard or closer shots. It sucks not really duck hunting shooting at flyers all day but i love to waterfowel hunt. In saying that, that is why is was asking on suggestions on tubes.
Frank73
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Here is a pattern of 1 1/8oz #5 steel out of my 391 Beretta with an Extended Mod. choke way out at 50 yards.
Best results are actually 45Yards or less with this size steel pellet but it shows what a good choke can do in a shotgun
and a lot farther out than your 35 yards !! .............. with 207 pellets inside the 30" circle.

There is hope, for you still.

Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu May 30, 2013 6:55 am

SAGE

Did those 5's at 50 yds go through the paper or , were you just shooting at that range just to save shot for another load ?

I would think , shot that size should be good inside 35 yds , with it's 1/2" penetration ? :lol3:

Larry
3200 man
hunter

Return to Target Shooting