Suggestion for correcting shooting to the left

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Suggestion for correcting shooting to the left

Postby sharris » Fri May 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Lately I have been playing around with a pocket pistol and for the few rounds I've shot through it it seems to shoot to the left. I haven't had this problem before with other handguns and think it might have to do with the small grip size changing the way I hold the gun. I am not an avid pistol shooter and have never shot tiny pistols before. Is there is a better way to hold the gun to help correct this? I do a push-pull grip from a weaver stance. I haven't tried other brands/weights of ammo yet because I can't find it locally.

sharris
hunter

Re: Suggestion for correcting shooting to the left

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:58 am

Don't feel bad with that small 380 in your hands if larger or larger.

When I wrap my big meat hooks around a small grip pistol I have all kinds of things happen to me, also.
You just need to find a hand style that will work or find larger grips if nothing works out for you.

One reason the 380 is usually a "Ladies Gun" due to the very small grip area. Two and one half or three finger holds, sort of suck.........

Good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:02 am

I noticed last time I shot it that it was hard to grip and moving a bit in my hands. I bought some rubber grip tape and will put it on and see if that helps. Once I can find some more ammo I'll try one handed and cup and saucer grips and see if they work better. I recognize the limitations of the gun based on its small size, but there has to be a way to optimize it for me.
sharris
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Myself not being a pistol shooter , I do like good groups and what I see here , looks to be real good for such a little gun ?
If this is for self-defence , I don't think , who ever you're shooting at , is going far !
3200 man
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks 3200 -- yes, it groups suprisingly well for its small size. I would just like to get those groups centered. I grew up target shooting rifles and little things like shooting off center is something that can hopefully be fixed. I was told that if you ever have to use a gun for self defense your shooting errors will be magnified so the group size will be a lot larger and I could be even more off center. My goal is 1"-2" groups on center with this gun. If I can do that I'd feel much more comfortable with it.
sharris
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:32 pm

That's the reason and old trench gun is by my bed , group No , Pattern YES ! I'm pretty good at fixing wood that I shot-up
but , I don't have a clue how to stop the bleeding of so many holes , I can put in someone !

3200 man
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:57 am

By nature a small "pocket pistol" will magnify any lapse in fundamentals of pistol shooting because of the shorter sight radius, a lack of a full purchase on the grip and a fairly long and/or somewhat heavy DA trigger pull. That said, your groups are not bad at all for such a small piece and it very well could be that the "sights" are a tad off (even though they are fixed).

I would shoot a few groups off of a pistol rest to see if the gun shoots to POA just to make sure domething isn't amiss with the sights themselves and if things check out you might just have to adjust your grip, trigger pull or aiming point.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:19 pm

The problem with small carry guns is that they usually come with super small stocks that hide well but
do not give good support like the big bulky target grips made of soft rubber, that stick in your pocket when trying to get the gun out for quick use.

You just have to decide what and were the gun will be and what is the best set up grip and sight wise to go. (laser? )
Most grips come down to the holster that will be used and how low an imprint you think is needed.

A ski parka will hide a .45 Grease gun with a sling but is not to swift in the summer time in Florida..................
Good luck with that weapon, looks like you got it down pretty good, to me.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby sharris » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:16 am

I did manage to find a box of practice rounds two weeks ago. I haven't patterned it yet off a rest, but will in a week or two and then scan in the target. I am not sure what holster I will use. I have a small soft pocket holster but I think it prints too much in there (although I haven't noticed anyone looking at my pocket). The grip tape I bought works really well and seems to stop the gun from sliding around in my grip when shooting. It was pre-cut to fit the gun so it looks nice and is functional.
sharris
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:19 am

Update - I was able to get a few different brands of ammo over the past month to try and they shoot the same. Switching to one handed and cup/saucer grips fixed the problem!
sharris
hunter

Return to Target Shooting