Duck Hunting Forum banner

Tapered hull for long-range shooting

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  3200 man 
#1 ·
It's always fun to see what fellas load ,for long range shooting in a 12 ga lead load ?

With powders being Long-shot ,Herco,800X with , what ever shot size you choose to work at 70 yds plus .

any recipes out there ?

#4 ·
For long distance field loads I first start off with a 2 3/4' Federal Gold Medal so I know that I have a top end load.
Win and Rem etc are for trap and skeet loads for me, sort of a color code.......... in case the shells get mixed up.

In the old days when you could use lead for ducks I had a 1 1/2 oz. load of #4's at 1330 fps that kicked like a mule but
reached to the moon with lots of Blue Dot................now I take it easy on my old shoulder and just shoot 1 1/4 oz. of
#6 field loads at 1220 fps and it is a lot easier on the body and still kills game at long distances, with Unique powder.

If inside 50 yards 1 1/8 oz. is plenty with 7 1/2's if you have the right choke and your lead is correct and either 700x, RedDot
or any other fast powder at 10,500 psi or less.

True the Federal is not a tapered hull but it is my go to "Magnum" hull........ if I had to, the Rem STS would be my 2nd choice.

#5 ·
Have you tried the Cheddite hull from France , that the Estates are loaded in ? They make a nice long range load with
the volume that FGM's have ? I've been using the Blue Rio hulls , with good success so , between those 2 hulls , shooting
out past 65 yds at a clay target is getting easier . OH yea ! it takes extra time to condition these hull but , the advantages
are great !

#6 ·
If the hull does not accept a w209 or f209a it is not in my reloading room, so that leaves out the Rio.......
plus I hate a 6 crimp hull ! Nothing worse than having to change over a loader for a different style hull.

The Estate takes more powder than the Fed GM, so it is 4th on my reloading list.................but
I will load it for a field throw away and save my WinAA and Rem STS for trap etc.

I will shoot factory Rio's but I don't pick them up.

#7 ·
SAGE

Try those Estate (Ched) hulls with steel shot , it's a winner for me ! I use the Ched primer so , everything is good with
a VP 65 or BP 32 .

As far as the Rio's , I use a primer pocket conditioner with Ched primers , it makes a good big payload shell .

#9 ·
They are the Estates that come in the white box , it says in big red letters Target and Dove loads . They are Ched hulls
as they have 4 stars in between 4 12's , they are made by Noble in France , for Estate/Federal . The brass head is 1/4" tall
and they have a short plastic base/wad .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.