Last Reno SC shoot

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Last Reno SC shoot

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Reno's Sage Hills trap club is closing down the 31st of this month...........
The Union had its last SC shoot of the year today and sign up started at 8am and we had the safety session
and then they passed out the free ammo. Four boxes of Winchester 3 Dr. 7 1/2's along with the clip board
and score sheet.
Weather was a warm 85 and climbing but no wind or breeze to help, we were all going to be happy when the shoot would be over and head back down the hill to the club house for a "Cold One" !!
Great time had by all and plenty of ribbing and joking on the "Good, Bad and the UGLY" that happened to all of use over
the course with all types of crazy birds, angels, speeds and that "Wabbit" was a screamer, going down hill !!
Hardest setup was a right hand teal at 30 yards going up at a 45 degree going away at 20 degrees and a low screamer
15 yards on the left, out 20 yards and going away and dropping as it went down hill.
Great free roast beef with chili and salad lunch for all, seconds if needed and then the prizes and raffle ticket draw for the Remington Auto shotgun as well as the awards to the shooters.

Great time had by all, lots of great gifts and we all hated for it to be ending................lots of great times and shoots over the years as well as many friends to rib and joke with. I am going to miss this place.
Oh, by the way, I rat holed those 7 1/2's for hunting season later this year and used up some light trap loads that would not work in the field and were loaded for just trap or skeet at the 16 yard line. 1 oz. of 8 1/2's at 1200fps with some old e3 powder that I ran out of about a year back. Even with an I/C in both tubes I shot pretty well and was very happy with the out come
with the others using the HDCP 7 1/2's and mine good to around 45 yards, energy wise. Even though a light target load it did well for me.
Hope every one has a great season and stay safe.

Sagebrush
hunter

Re: Last Reno SC shoot

Postby 3200 man » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:46 am

WAY TO Go Sage ! Good Shooting . With all the memories SAGE HILL has given us , You were the Top Dog at the end !

3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:13 pm

Did four rounds of skeet and three rounds of trap today to use up seven boxes of Lite 7/8 oz. #9's
at 1165 and 1200fps.

They would not work to well in the field and figured I better burn them up on my last day at the club.
Worked ok on skeet but the clays at the trap 16 yards line were a little tuff after they got to 35 yards.
I tried a few "Oakleys" as they fell and was able to break 2 out of 4 but just chips for the little #9 pellets.

Had one box of "Magnum" 7/8 oz. reclaimed #8's at 1145fps for my last fling. Surprising what a larger pellet,
with more energy can do for shots at around 35 yards, I was actually smoking a few with the light skeet loads
but the Full choke helped out.

I missed 2-3 out of the 25 but I was using my 391 auto, that I use for duck hunting and was a little rusty and
had loads that were not quite up to 1550 fps that work and pattern with the stocks set up.
Well that's my story, and I'm sticking to it................ :help:

Might blow the dust off the old Browning A-5 for a day out after a dove in a few days. It has not received any love
in a long time.

Every one shoot straight and stay safe.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby newduckjunkie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:36 am

I am assuming that trophy is yours Sage....Congratulations I know the competition up there is big. Is Sage Hill closing for good?
Or for the season it cant be for good I hope. That was my favorite place to shoot the big AtA shoots..
newduckjunkie
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:20 am

Yes it is a done deal........

Nov 16th they are selling the field lights, two section houses, throwers, BBQ, ammo...........maybe even the kitchen sink ?

Sad day for all............

Just a matter of time before you see homes up there.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Target Shooting