.308 questions

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

.308 questions

Postby northzoneguy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:59 pm

I just picked up a cheap .308. I'm putting a 4x12 power scope on it. What kind of distance am i looking at shooting accuratly. This is my first high powered rifle. I'm just curious on what I should exspect.
northzoneguy
State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:26 pm

Well practice always makes for a better shooter but i'd say anything outside of 200 yards it starts getting hairy. With lack of knowledge, new gun, wind, weather and so on can lead to miss placed shots. A .308 is a great gun and with the right shooter can shot beyond 300yrds acturately. Learn you gun, give it a name and sleep with it-what I mean is do whatever it take to get to know what to do and how to do it in any circumstance. Make a chart of distance drop as per grain of bullets. Good luck and enjoy. :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby northzoneguy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:10 pm

Thank alot. I have shot all kind of rifles. This is just the first one I have owned. So if i'm a good shot and get to know the gun a 300 yd shot isn't out of the question. Thanks again
northzoneguy
State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:40 pm

A 308 can shoot 1000 yards accurately...just takes practice and the right combination of equipment. After a good amount of practice, those 300 yard shots will seem like cake.

Get to know your range well, and it will pay you back when it's time to take the shot when it counts.
Last edited by bgoldhunter on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby muddydog » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:44 pm

My Personal best shot was taken with the .308 at a distance of 350 yards
any military round is a hard one to beat. Alot of competion rifles are
chambered in this round also. Most hunters should keep shots to within
300 yards are so.
muddydog
hunter

Postby northzoneguy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:49 pm

Thanks alot I haven't got the scope on it yet but i'm dieing to get out and shoot it. It has a bull barrel on it does that make it any more accurate?
northzoneguy
State Moderator

Postby muddydog » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:00 pm

Most of the time but not always. You need to find a load that the rifle will
shoot well. I would suggest a load from Federal, something with a ballistic
tip bullet. I have several rifles with light and heavy barrels and all are capable of good accuracy with the right loads. Good shooting.
muddydog
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:05 pm

A bull barrel can shoot like crap...depends on the barrel.

What a heavy barrel does is help reduce barrel whipping when shot. It will not tend to flex as much as a sporter barrel. It also takes a bit longer to heat up when shooting fast strings. Muzzle jump is also reduced with a heavy barrel

A shorter heavy barrel also helps, as it is more stiff than a longer barrel. However, velocity is usually higher with a longer barrel.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Quackattaq » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:06 pm

lets also rembember the 308 has been around almost as long, and has a great reputation as a flat shooter for as long as any other "sniper"rifle.

Next to perhaps a 30/30 or .270 it probably has more chambering options than anything.

Personaly, I have places to hunt that may require anything from 50 to 500 yards. I carry different grain rounds, and chamber as nesc. (this is because I generaly carry a .260)

With a good scope, solid round, and lots of practice I think a 500 yard shot should be expected to take down anything up to 150 class whitetail, with anything larger than .260 cal. (ok maybe even a 25/06)

BUT! EMPHASIS ON PRACTICE. I only take a shot like that when I think absolutly nesc.

Keep in mind, most people who have logged a kill at greater than 350 yards will tell you it has little to do with the gun, and most to do with the shooter :thumbsup: And even then balistics knowledge does not make up for practice.
-Jason
skyblastin is for wussies! Wait till you can look em in the eye!
Quackattaq
Membership permanently suspended

Re: .308 questions

Postby mattman48732 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:01 am

northzoneguy wrote:I just picked up a cheap .308. I'm putting a 4x12 power scope on it. What kind of distance am i looking at shooting accuratly. This is my first high powered rifle. I'm just curious on what I should exspect.

Sir,
Your questions are really "putting the horse before the cart". If this is your 'first high-powered rifle', then I would assume you would have at least had experience with smallbore shooting. And didn't you study the .308 cartridge before you purchased it? What you should expect from it is what you will put into it - the rifle will deliver you absolutely nothing unless you have the expertise to make it perform (rifle, ammunition, shooter, etc.).

'What kind of distance am I looking at shooting accurately'? To ask this question indicates that you have no experience with shooting highpower, let alone shooting at distances beyond smallbore range (200 yards - and yes, a smallbore rifle can be fired competitively at 200 yards). The shooter makes the rifle shoot accurately - not the rifle shooting accurately for the shooter.

You need to go to the range with only one load (that you have selected from diligent studying). Setup on a benchrest at 100 yards and become familiar with your first highpower rifle. Then progress to 200 yards and 300 yards (on the benchrest) to become familiar with the rifle's capabilities at these distances. And, might I just say, that resting a rifle on a benchrest does not in itself guarantee you that the rifle will deliver tight groups. Shooting from a benchrest requires expertise in order to produce the expected results.

Research the .308 in terms of bullets vs. trajectories and you will discover the answer to your question(s). There is a wealth of information that has been developed in regards to this subject. Your rifle has its own personality - you need to become very familiar with it in order to really know its potential - and only you can do that.

Matt
mattman48732
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:11 pm

The .308 is like any other rifle.

It takes a quality barrel, a scope suited for the range that you will be shooting and proper shooting abilitys.

I have seen people that could not place a pattern at 100 yards and I
have seen shooters put a .30 cal bullet in a 500 yard target with open sights.

Matching the rifle with the proper bullet & load, alond with lots of practice
is the only way to get er done................

Also the distance is related to the shooting positions used.

Very few can hit a 500 yard target off hand !!

Sitting,kneeling or prone is a totally different thing........... :thumbsup:

Later Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:58 pm

In my Navy Days we shot matches every year with M1A's in 308 and M1 Garands in 30-06 both with 168gr bullets @ I believe 2650fps. Both were accurate out to the 600 meters we shot and that was with open sights. we also used AR-15's in 223 for that range. HuntBuck has some great target load data worked up for his Remington PSS in 308 and it is only hindered by the low power factory installed scope. I personally would not shoot deer past 300yds with a 308 although it will easily kill them out at 500yds with the correct load and shot placement. Have fun and let us know how it shoots.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TopGunMich » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:44 pm

I would say to get some good info on Long Distance shooting. Read books from sniping to benchrest shooting and alot of info on competitive shooting. Learn to clean your rifle properly, from a good source. Look into glass bedding the action, hand lapping/ fire lapping/polishing the inside of the barrel. Select a quality scope. Loc tite and torque the action screws. I have made some avg rifles into tack drivers with the above. Go to the range with ammo matched to your barrels twist rate. Some twist rates spin bullets to fast or slow for thier weight. Your rifle may shoot 145gr bullets poorly, but shoot 165gr bullets well, or vise versa.
The 308 round is capable of shots to 1000 yds. But only in the hands of a trained shooter. HUNT WITH IN YOUR ABLILITIES!
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby mrbigtexan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:23 pm

A shorter heavy barrel also helps, as it is more stiff than a longer barrel. However, velocity is usually higher with a longer barrel. this is only true if your powder hasn't already burn't up. if your powder burns in 22" but have a 24- 26" barrel then the longer barrel does you no good. that would also reason that the longer barrel would also hurt you from the drag produced by the rifling. the solution, use a powder that burns slower for the longer barrel to utilize the extra length.
mrbigtexan
hunter

Postby usmc2220 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:10 pm

ok first of all the .308 is a great round. how accurate it can be depends on you... i would think about getting an inexpensive variable scope. might look into mueller tac II it has a mil dot rectile which means the dots can be used to judge distance for unknown distance when deer hunting or varmit hunting, as well as dial in. with this scope and its ability to adjust 1/4 MOA (minute of angle, another great thing to look at and understand for longrange shooting). At 1000 yards a 168 grain hollow point boat tail round will drop on average if there is no wind 30 MOA a MOA is equal to aprox. 1 inch every 100 yards. practice at 100 yards and get your confidence up, look into and try to understand theroys about MOA and how to make wind calls and adjust your scope, dont worry about parralex until your shooting long distance. so many things go into long range but that will get you started a 308 had the longest confirmed kill in iraq... any questions on set-ups mods etc email me usmc2220@yahoo.com

Semper Fi
Aaron Leighton

USMC
usmc2220
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:12 am

I would rather have a mil dot scope adjust in mils than MOA. Less conversion that way. If one is used to thinking MOA, then get a recticle that measures in MOA. Heck, IPHY wouldn't be a bad thing for most guys.

A FFP scope makes it easier to use the recticle on all powers with a variable. Worth looking into...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby don taylor » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:00 pm

Hey skybusters, you don't shoot deer at 500, 400, 300 , 200yards.... unless your handicapped in a wheelchair. Learn how to stalk your prey and get close. People use ARROWS..

A .308 is a great long range target caliber. Its is not ethical to shoot big game at target distances. Don't confuse that. They deserve more respect.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:59 am

don taylor wrote:Hey skybusters, you don't shoot deer at 500, 400, 300 , 200yards.... unless your handicapped in a wheelchair. Learn how to stalk your prey and get close. People use ARROWS..

A .308 is a great long range target caliber. Its is not ethical to shoot big game at target distances.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Aparently you never hunted bean fields where 200 and 300 yard shots are common. I bow hunt every year and take a couple in the woods but I like to hunt the wide open fields too. I personally have never shot at deer past 300yds but at that range they are an EASY target and have never lost one.

You Probably Bait and a lot of people consider that to be unethical. others consider decoys to be unethical too.

we do not need the name calling and criticizing here just help with the question at hand

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:57 pm

When have I ever posted that I bait?

Use decoys?

Maybe you don't have hunting dogs that can track and find dead animals. Mine can. I find at least 5 and most years over 10 poorly shot deer. The drift on a bullet at 300 yards with a stiff breeze is more than 90+% can compensate for. You don't tell new guys with new guns 300 yard shots are "common" and "easy". I also am a ex- Marine who knows a little about rifle work. While you were in study hall I was in the Persian Gulf. Save your stern replies for the wet eared 18 year olds. I still will never agree,

I bet you have never shot at a deer and missed either, have you?

Because that "clean miss" you had died a mile back in the woods and you never saw it. I've seen it happen, over and over and over............
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Don,

I still can not agree with your statements. I shot Army Navy matches back in 88 and 89 and 600 yds with open sights was pretty easy with a M1A and even an AR-15 could do it. a LOT of NEW shooters had no problem shooting good scores at that range. granted we used the proper shooting gear for the task but Throw on a decent scope and back up to 300yds should not be a problem. wind drift is not a big deal when there is little or no wind. I do not take shots that I do not KNOW I can make. And your right, I have never missed rifle shot on a dear or bear (missed a 25 yd shot with an arrow one time).

I do agree with other post that say Practice @ 100 yds. and practice often. I shoot several thousand rounds a year and still I will not take questionable shots.

Make a ballistic chart for your rifle :thumbsup: . I Reload and run ballistics on all my ammo. My rifles are zeroed at 200yds and have charts on the stock which show all the info I need out to 500yds. And I can verify the drop and drift at my dads farm where we can shoot down the air strip (providing none of his buddies are landing) farther than necessary to verify the ballistic charts.

Just know your limits and stick to them and you will enjoy hunting and target shooting with the 308.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:19 am

You are a competent shooter, plug away.

I once had your mindset. If I can do it, with practice, anyone can. The reality of it is most people can't shoot @ 100 yards well and if they miss, they don't even get their a$se$ of the ground to check for blood. We just have to disagree this time. Sorry about bustin yer balls with the study hall thing. Too many guys read that Shockey or Boddington can do it, so they think they can too.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:11 am

No problem. :thumbsup:

I just like to shoot a LOT and I am one of these anal guys that if the rifle (Centerfire) will not shoot 1/2MOA I try a few more loads and then it is sold it if will not meet my specs. I am an accuracy nut but so are the guys I shoot with. And I am not just talking varmint rifles but my 300's too.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:44 am

don taylor wrote:Hey skybusters, you don't shoot deer at 500, 400, 300 , 200yards.... unless your handicapped in a wheelchair. Learn how to stalk your prey and get close. People use ARROWS..

A .308 is a great long range target caliber. Its is not ethical to shoot big game at target distances. Don't confuse that. They deserve more respect.

Sooo....since not everyone can shoot such distances no one should? I find dead or wounded deer on the property as well, but that isn't going to stop me from taking a shot that I know I'll make.

At distance....
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:33 am

Acually a quality 180 gr at 2700fps has enough energy to kill a deer at 800 yards...................I will stop there.

However, will you 308 shoot 180 grain bullets well.
Maybe it just likes the light 150 grain bullets?

Barrel twist rate,stock/barrel seating,type of sights,barrel and muzzle condition, chamber fit etc. all play a part on the accuracy of your rifles.

Some are shooters and some are only good enough to be "Brush" guns, and I am just talking about the rifle !!!

200 yards is a great shot back East , while out West a 300 yard shot is some times the norm.

Placing a shot inside a 12" area takes lots of practice, with the
correct ammo for the rifle and the range being shot.

Nothing worse than a gut shot animal or one with a leg shot off at the knee, but smoetimes stuff happens. Most will make sure the rifle is sighted in after a long trip or flight to a hunting area and
only shot according to ones ability , for a quality, killing shot, for the
minimum discomfort of all game.

That is why we are called............Sportsmen.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby PeteV » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:33 pm

300 yard shot here on a deer, dropped in its tracks with a .308 in 2004. Knowing the rifle, sighting in accurately, practicing and being steady seemed to be the keys. Was using a tree to steady it. It can be done.
PeteV
hunter

Next

Return to Target Shooting