30-06 encore reloading help

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

30-06 encore reloading help

Postby Haywoodhonkerhunter » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:15 am

I just got a used 30-06 encore barrel and so far the best group I've got out of it so far is around 3" @ 100. I'm new to encores do they usually like a heavier bullet or lighter and do encores like jump between the bullet or do they usually like to be in the lands, and if anyone has any load suggests I would be grateful for any help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Haywoodhonkerhunter
hunter

Re: 30-06 encore reloading help

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Shove a cleaning rod down the barrel with a tight patch and mark the rod with some tape next to the barrel.
Now slowly pull the rod back and stop when the mark on the rod comes around to the same spot.
Measure this distance to see what twist rate your barrel has.
A 1:10 is the standard twist for most 30-06 rifles. Knowing your barrel's twist can help in selecting what to shoot.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby yz450f » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:50 pm

Read Mike Bellm's page on setting an encore up. Seems these guns are headspace sensitive. He has lots of suggestions.
yz450f
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:19 pm

Sagebrush wrote:Shove a cleaning rod down the barrel with a tight patch and mark the rod with some tape next to the barrel.
Now slowly pull the rod back and stop when the mark on the rod comes around to the same spot.
Measure this distance to see what twist rate your barrel has.
A 1:10 is the standard twist for most 30-06 rifles. Knowing your barrel's twist can help in selecting what to shoot.

^ this will be your biggest help... twist rate will determine what bullet weight will shoot best.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:56 am

In my experience the 30-06 works best with 168 an up for bullet weight, I have loaded for many of them and I generally get the best groups out of 180gr Nosler BT's or more recently the Accubonds, I also find that the Hornady bullets give acceptable groups. I have one that will cut groups down to one ragged hole with 220gr slugs and they are deer takers for sure. I gave up on Barnes bullets as they are vary particular when it comes to how far you set them off the rifling and a very tiny adjustment can go from 1/2" to 4" in my testing. I have not found a deer or bear yet that would not fall to the BT even though they are fast expanding they hold together enough for black bear and deer and dump a lot of energy. Every shot has been a pass thru out to 300 yds.

If your only using factory loads I would try a box of Winchester 180gr silvertips or Federal Premium BT's. I'm having some great results with the new Federal Fusion line taking deer with my 223 AR's with sub MOA accuracy so that might be another round to try.

You will more than likely find your barrel is 1 in 10 twist in the 30-06, generally 308's are 1 in 12 and shoot better with bullets in the 150 range but there are always exceptions.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Target Shooting