New Shotgun-er

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

New Shotgun-er

Postby Cranberry1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Hey Guys! I just bought a new A400 xtreme to use for waterfowl, small game, etc. I have hunted my whole life and am a very good marksman.. or exceptional as to not sound cocky haha.. but am having trouble with the shotgun! Me and my dad were throwing clay's today and i just did awful! It is not the gun because my dad did well. SO my question is what is the proper way to hold the shotgun? I have heard don't lean into it so I didn't. Should i be "leaning" into more to get that two thumb distance from my face to thumb? when I put the gun up to my face now, i can see a lot of the rail and that doesnt seem right to me. Any direction will help, and i know this probably seems like a foolish question!
Cranberry1
hunter

Re: New Shotgun-er

Postby Duck_Stank » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:32 pm

Sounds like it fits badly, someone has to know more than me to help you out and post. Also, I struggled with wing and clay shooting at first, then I realized for me I have to not think so much and just see and do. Reaction shooting is better personally for me.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:11 am

Stop and think about what your New gun feels like! Is the LOP to long , is the cast not enough , do you have the right
shim in the gun for proper comb hite ? Manufactures set-up guns for the average person and you might be different ?

TAKE SOME TIME , see what you got and adjust it to fit you ! One suggestion comes to mind , Look at your old gun ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:43 am

Try this....stand in front of a mirror, shoulder the gun as you would to fire off a shot, look in the mirror, your eye should line up over the top of the rib...if it doesn't you need to replace shims until it does. Clothing will also play a part in this, ie heavy hunting jacket compared to light weight shirt.
Another thing to try.....go outside, pick out a small target within shotgun range 25/35 yds out preferrably off the ground, CLOSE your eyes when you have the target you want, shoulder the gun, open you eyes and see where the gun is pointed, if it's not on that target you need to make needed adjustment.
I learned these tips from others while reading a lot of posts on this subject years ago, but actual shooting and patterning the gun will be needed also. Hope this helps :thumbsup:
23yearsago
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:54 am

I'd start with the fit. Take the gun to an expert who can assess the fit and modify it if need be.i didn't use to think fit was a big deal but after I had a couple shotguns fitted my trap shooting improved unbelievably and so did my duck and pheasant shooting. You can't really work on other aspects of shooting until you have good fit.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Cranberry1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks for the answers guys! I feel like i have to cock my shoulder back to get my face into an ideal position.. but i am not too familiar with the adjustments and names to them.
Cranberry1
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:23 am

If your a rifle shooter and are trying to aim the shotgun that could be a lot of your issue. You are probably pushing your head way too far forward and not keeping it straight upright. You may also be canting the shotgun if you are having to cock your shoulder to shoot it.

Best thing to start with (IMO) is to stand upright with your head straight and pull the gun to your shoulder. Do not bring your head to the gun bring the gun to your cheek. One way that I use to help fit guns is a paper 15yds out with a 6" black dot in the center and have the customer "snap shoot" the paper. meaning you pull up and fire, no aligning and no hesitation, just pull up to shoulder and cheek and fire. you will get a hole in the target and this will tell where your gun is shooting for you as your eyes should instinctively go to the dot. try the forward grip with your index finger pointing forward as if your pointing at your target when you do this. you need to know where you hitting before making any adjustments at all.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cranberry1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:10 pm

I know for a fact if i do that , that i can see a lot of the rail leading up to the bead. what adjustments would fix this? Do you know if many gun shops can aid in helping me fit a gun? Obviously not a specific one, but have you ever heard of that. I am a rifle shooter so it is instinct to want to put my face down and aim the gun.
Cranberry1
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:32 am

Cranberry1 wrote:I know for a fact if i do that , that i can see a lot of the rail leading up to the bead. what adjustments would fix this? Do you know if many gun shops can aid in helping me fit a gun? Obviously not a specific one, but have you ever heard of that. I am a rifle shooter so it is instinct to want to put my face down and aim the gun.

LOTS of practice will help and a lot of standing in your "man cave" and just shouldering the gun until you get it down to where you are constantly bringing the gun to your cheek with you head upright. Once you can mount the gun correctly then if you are still having issues and are still seeing a lot of rib then drop the stock with the provided shims and give it another try. in most cases you can use the included shim kit to get to "close enough" to shoot good for you.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MSparks909 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:48 pm

European "B" guns are also designed to have the target visible above the head at the end of the barrel, essentially a 6 o'clock hold like used in bullseye target shooting. Not sure if you've taken this into consideration. If not you may be shooting high.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Hey... Waterfowlhunter....You must have shot trap a time or two.. :yes: You are so Correct...The Gun comes to you, you don't go to the Gun. It made me make the 27yrd line a few times doing just that. :thumbsup:
I transferred that into Waterfowling and it works there too.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:13 am

too much "Rail" as you call it , will send your pattern above your eye's point of aim.

Yep...... a little fitting is probably needed to get it to get there.
It might also need another fit if you put on a lot of weight or your muscles and body change
over the years and change how the gun is mounted.

At least you know some thing is not right........... that is a good thing!!

Good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby KRB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:06 pm

If you can see a lot of rib you need more drop. The shims came with the gun it's a pain with the recoil systems to do. But try the 65 shim as it offers the most drop. I have done this to mine as I shoot lefty and had to change cast as well as flip the safety.
KRB
hunter

Return to Target Shooting