My acheing cheek

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

My acheing cheek

Postby Stogie » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:36 pm

Shot trap for the first time in years. I hunt often but have not sat down and shot 3 boxes of shells in a row.

By the third round of clays I had a goose egg on my cheek and it is still sore 3 days later. Duck season opens in the morning so I guess I will have to just man up. 1 1/4 oz. #2 Steel is gonna kick my ass. I hope I don't flinch.

Question is???? Am I having to lean in too far to get a sight picture or is this normal after not shooting for awhile.

If I am leaning in too far how best to adjust the lift.

I was shooting 12 ga. 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 shot.
Stogie
hunter

Postby bowhunter20 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:28 pm

I have the same problem. Not saying im a pro shooter but this isnt effecting my shooting espeically with skeets.
__________________________________Bow Hunter
bowhunter20
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:54 pm

I don't have a problem with my cheek hurting while shooting clays - I generally shoot a couple rounds of clays a week, but when I threw 3 1/2s into my gun for patterning purposes, It did smart a bit. The problem I see is fit. I don't know what kind of gun you have, but you might consider having the drop adjusted by a smith or with aftermarket shims that some guns have.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:07 pm

I can shoot 200 to 250 shells in a meet with my U/O, Pump
and my auto and never have a sore cheak!!

Better have your stock "Worked on " !!!

since you have a very poor fit !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby duck stalker » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:07 am

Somtimes I go through 200 shells a day! It might be how the gun is fitting you! I have a semi and just got last year and O/U.

I had the same problem actually with all my shooting accept, worse! I used to get a scab on my cheek and continually rip it off the next time I shoot! Gross I know!! :umm: Then i got some electric shaving powder and it worked great! I came to find out the stock was sliding and jolting up my cheek due to improper fit. Well long story short, I put this O/U up on my shoulder and I could just feel it!!! :biggrin: it felt like an extention of my body! Problem solved! My hunting gun feels the same way and it's a pump! My 3" hunting loads feel like my handicap loads for trap!

I also feel that 3.5" shells are little over kill, I shoot 3" and do just fine some say the speed and power helps... NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE in my opinion 3.5" are for skybusters. :sniper:
"If you lead them, they will fall"

"Know one knows true companionship until they have owned a Lab"
duck stalker
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:39 am

Now,now,now...............

Keep it nice.!!

Lots of people that shoot those BIG LONG SHELLS, only do it because they are poor shots and need all the help they can get at even real CLOSE RANGE shots !!

:tongue: :tongue:

(edited my mod)
Sagebrush
hunter

Edited after finding out what sky-busting REALLY is :huh:

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:51 pm

Some of us bad shots can't hit anything and need more range and speed. :huh: :rofl: :rofl:
Last edited by YAMAHA RIDER on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:01 pm

:thumbsup:
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:22 pm

Now now... some people only feel good if they take a holier than thou attitude and make general comments about abilities based on small portions of the discussion and ignore the point of the original post.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby duckplucker » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:34 am

:hijacked: like kiskadinna said, lets avoid off topic arguments, and try to stay focused on the topic originally posted. :thumbsup:
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:00 pm

At my age, I would love to have 3 1/2"....................

is that off topic?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby duck stalker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:06 pm

Hey like I said I did not mean to offend or open up a can worms saying that!!! :oops2: Maybe I shouldnt of, We all have our different ways of hunting and shooting. I Just posted my opinion and not passing judgment or trash talking!! :oops:
"If you lead them, they will fall"

"Know one knows true companionship until they have owned a Lab"
duck stalker
hunter

Postby jumping jasper » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:14 pm

It's either a bad gun fit or you are lifting your head off the stock. As they say keep "wood on wood"
jumping jasper
hunter

Return to Target Shooting