Best .22 ammo

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Best .22 ammo

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:43 am

Getting a Ruger S22 soon what's the best all around 22 ammo brand and where to get it (shipped)....?
Thanks
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Best .22 ammo

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:42 pm

I'd be happy if I could just find 22 ammo to buy
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Right now the best 22 ammo is what ever you can get.

I have 3 Ruger 10-22's and every one likes different ammo. one likes Stingers, one likes mini-mags and one likes Federal. None of them like Winchester and one likes Remington golden bullet but I have too many fail to fire with the Remington so I can not recommend it. Some of the Rem BG are loud, some quite, some eject some do not but accuracy is pretty good considering them being all over the place in functionality

My Browning Buck mark likes CCI stingers (pop can accurate out to 50 yds) but my S&W M&P apparently does not like any ammo as I can not get it to shoot less than 10" groups at 25 yards. :mad:

My Henry's will accurately shoot anything I have tried in them, even the CB's, longs and shorts. :thumbsup:

What I am getting at is that you will need to buy a variety of ammo and see what works for your particular Ruger :beer:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KRB » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Getting a Ruger S22 soon what's the best all around 22 ammo brand and where to get it (shipped)....?
Thanks

Get what you can. It's your first pistol your not going to hit anything. :no:
KRB
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:39 pm

KRB wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:Getting a Ruger S22 soon what's the best all around 22 ammo brand and where to get it (shipped)....?
Thanks

Get what you can. It's your first pistol your not going to hit anything. :no:

I didn't say it's the first one I've shot.......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby KRB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:48 am

Just kiddin ya. :smile:
KRB
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:29 am

Some Winchester (333) has been recalled...........for possible double charges...........
make sure you get safe ammo.

The others companies are ok that I know of as this date.

later.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:55 am

I hate this old ".22 shortage," every store has piles of it in back. They wouldnt sell .22s without ammo
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:06 pm

Rhock19 wrote:I hate this old ".22 shortage," every store has piles of it in back. They wouldn't sell .22s without ammo

I don't know about that....I called around a lot today...they all just laughed.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Thats what everyone said about the gas shortage in the 70s. Why would winchester, federal, and any other ammo maker not be able to keep up with demand for .22 shells. We know they have the capability to produce mass amounts, so why are we not seeing it? Materials can't be the reason because they still produce mass amounts of every other size shell.
Rhock19
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:46 am

They are producing more than ever, It is the Hoarders that stand in line every morning at the stores waiting for the truck. I seen lines at 2 Gander mountain stores yesterday (flint and Novi) an hour before they opened of no less than 80 people. They bring their wives so they can get twice as much then they are reselling it on line for a huge profit. I live near one and had to work near the other so I figured I would check on ammo. I ended up going in after they opened and they had probably 10 cases of 5000 rounds each of 22lr and limited each customer to 2 50 round boxes or 1 100 round box at first then later started giving out 4 of the 50 round boxes. it was all gone by 12:30 when I went back. I heard 2 guys at the Walmart counter talking to the clerk about how much their making off 22 ammo at the local auctions. They looked to be retired and were talking about how they hit all the area stores every morning looking for 22's

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby coyote2 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:35 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:They are producing more than ever, It is the Hoarders that stand in line every morning at the stores waiting for the truck. I seen lines at 2 Gander mountain stores yesterday (flint and Novi) an hour before they opened of no less than 80 people. They bring their wives so they can get twice as much then they are reselling it on line for a huge profit. I live near one and had to work near the other so I figured I would check on ammo. I ended up going in after they opened and they had probably 10 cases of 5000 rounds each of 22lr and limited each customer to 2 50 round boxes or 1 100 round box at first then later started giving out 4 of the 50 round boxes. it was all gone by 12:30 when I went back. I heard 2 guys at the Walmart counter talking to the clerk about how much their making off 22 ammo at the local auctions. They looked to be retired and were talking about how they hit all the area stores every morning looking for 22's

This may be true with the long rifle but I called 9 places the other day looking for 22wmr and they all said it's been a year since they have seen any. This leads me to believe there is something else going on other than hoarding.

To answer the op's question, the best .22 is the ones you can find. I have had good luck with cci mini-mags.
coyote2
hunter

Best .22 ammo

Postby nmbrinkman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:17 pm

My understanding is they're at full operation on .22lr and can't keep up with the demand. No time for less desirable calibers. You want to start seeing .22lr on the shelves? Stop buying it at more than $0.15/round. I found some for $0.06/round online. I'm good now. You keep buying it at twice the price people will keep lining up at 8am to buy all they can before you get there at 5pm when you get off work and they'll sell it to you online for twice what they paid for it.
To answer the OP question. IMO CCIs are good quality. Relatively clean and most are copper coated which leave less lead fouling in your chamber.
nmbrinkman
hunter

Postby coyote2 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:21 pm

I haven't bought lr in 2 years. Had plenty before the shortage and still do.
coyote2
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:29 pm

coyote2 wrote: and still do.

So..uhhhh...How's it goin? Come here often?...... :help:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby coyote2 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:55 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
coyote2 wrote: and still do.

So..uhhhh...How's it goin? Come here often?...... :help:

Nope. Just haven't shot other than dispatching critters during trapping season. Don't shoot targets anymore because I'm not fighting off the pack of wolves at the store to buy an overpriced 50 round box of ammo.
coyote2
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:04 am

Rhock19 wrote:I hate this old ".22 shortage," every store has piles of it in back. They wouldnt sell .22s without ammo

there aren't any shortages at the gun shows if you don't mind paying $80 for 500
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby R. Chapman » Mon May 12, 2014 7:58 am

The one brand that has done consistently well for me is Eley match.
Obummer's real name- Black Hussein Osama
R. Chapman
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Seeing it pretty steady on the shelves again lately. both the local Ganders and Dunhams had plenty for about 3 days and at near normal prices. hope this is the end of those IDIOTS that were standing in line at 5am with 6 family members trying to buy every box available then reselling it at 4X what they paid for it. Walmart had a few boxes in But I am waiting for some CCI Velocitors and mini-mags as that is what shoots best in my buckmarks. :thumbsup:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck Diver » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:07 am

Seeing everything except .22LR

With the exception of a 50 box here and there, or some sub sonic load or something I haven't seen a 500rd box for sale in a year.

I have 4-5 large stores with in 5 miles of me. I dont stand in line everyday hoping for a 50 round box.

Until I see a shelf stocked w/ 500 rd boxes/cans there is a shortage....
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:07 am

My Bimart received 5,000 22lr rounds two days ago and sold all of it to 2 men...What BS
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Return to Target Shooting