Ruger Mini-30

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Ruger Mini-30

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:52 am

I have a chance to pick up an Older (Possibly 15years or more) Mini 30. I can get it for about $350 and it has been fired about 30 times but has its share of dings and dents. I have been told that the MINI's were excellent shooters but do not expect any accuracy. The guy that has it got it when his father passed away and he says that he can barely hit a pie plate at 100 yds. I am looking for it to be a closet gun loaded with some varmint bullets to reduce shoot thru. Are there any things I can do without sending it off and puting a bunch of $$ into it that will increase accuracy? Just in case I want to take out some coyotes with it also.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TopGunMich » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:55 am

You can check out the facts on Minis 14/30's. They arent as accurate as some ar-15's, the reason they werent picked up as a service rifle, but with a good cleaning they work. I got one on trade when I was in the Army, it was dirty and wouldnt fire right. I cleaned it and started shooting it with different ammo. Once it was sighted in, it would hold 2-3 inch groups at a 100yds. Action screws must be tightened and Loc tited. Clean the crap out of the barrel and keep it that way. Shoot several types of quality ammo from a bench, then you'll find the truth. I do like the rifle and caliber. I would prefer a 308 Ar-10 carbine but they're a 1000 bucks to start.
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:13 am

TopGunMich wrote:You can check out the facts on Minis 14/30's. They arent as accurate as some ar-15's, the reason they werent picked up as a service rifle, but with a good cleaning they work. I got one on trade when I was in the Army, it was dirty and wouldnt fire right. I cleaned it and started shooting it with different ammo. Once it was sighted in, it would hold 2-3 inch groups at a 100yds. Action screws must be tightened and Loc tited. Clean the crap out of the barrel and keep it that way. Shoot several types of quality ammo from a bench, then you'll find the truth. I do like the rifle and caliber. I would prefer a 308 Ar-10 carbine but they're a 1000 bucks to start.
:dito:

My best advice is to agree with TopGun. KEEP IT CLEAN! For that money it is a pretty good deal if it hasnt been shot too much (and 30 times isnt a lot). Out to about 100-150 yards you should be able to do pretty well with that rifle on yotes. If i were goign to purchase the gun i would also get a decent red do scope for it. With a dot about 8-10 MOA you would be able to regulate your range pretty good. If it is completely covered up by the dot it is out of range, bigger thant he dot and you can bust it.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TopGunMich » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:27 am

I dont like red dot scopes with large dots. I like to pin point my shots more, but in low light they are useful. Be sure to get a quality mount, then torque the bolts and loc tite!!! I just bought a $300 air rifle with piss poor mount, causing me all kinds of head aches.
I would find out the twist rate of the barrel, then find out which grain of bullet shoots best, try a several from a bench. You should be able to make 100-200 yds shots. Depends on optics....
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Return to Target Shooting