problems with a RWS 34 Diana air rifle

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

problems with a RWS 34 Diana air rifle

Postby TopGunMich » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:29 pm

I bought a new RWS 34, doesnt seem to shoot very well. I know theres a break in period, but its shoots a 2.5 in group at 25 yds. Not very happy...
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby Shootin' Lead » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:35 pm

Experiment with different types/styles of pellets... Find one that your gun likes.... I have a RWS Diana model 46 and that's what I had to do.... The Beeman Super-H-Points shoot real well out of my gun...
NRA - Life Member CRPA - Life Member
CWA - Annual Member DU - Annual Member
DW - Annual Member GOA - Annual Member
SAS - Annual Member
Shootin' Lead
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 am

Same advice from me, Try a sampler pack of pellets, I believe Cabelas has them and that will give you a variety to try.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TopGunMich » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:11 am

Thanks for the insight..........
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Re: problems with a RWS 34 Diana air rifle

Postby doehunter » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:48 pm

I had the 34 and sold it to get a precharged pneumatic.
The Diana 34 is a good quality entry level air rifle. It's capable of grouping much better than that. The "break in period" you see people on the forums talking about is overrated in my opinion. A new barrel will need to be cleaned, but the pellets don't wear it in.
Remember, spring guns are very hold sensitive, because of the recoil. My Diana didn't like shooting from a solid rest. If your shooting from a rest, try putting a soft cushion under it. Expect it to shoot different when you go to off hand. Also, try some different pellets, Maybe a sample pack. I always had the best luck with the round nosed ones.
For just a little more money, Benjamen has a precharged pneumatic out now that is a lot easier to shoot straight. There is no recoil to throw it off.
Jim
doehunter
hunter

Postby TopGunMich » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:15 pm

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I did read the manual and tried all the tricks. I am a fmr. Army match shooter, usually I can fix or tweak a gun into shooting properly. This gun has series issues. I was so put of in the experience of talking to RWS, what a lack luster experience! I have talked to 10 plus companies regarding firearms, off the top of my head and never have I been to "suck it up, it was only $250 bucks!". So this was a lesson learned that I wanted to share.
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby doehunter » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:50 pm

Topgun,
Sorry your having bad luck with it. Mine shot a good bit straighter but lacked power. It shot 14grn .22 pellets at about 650 fps. I bought it because they advertised 850 fps! Well live and learn I guess. My old Benjiman shot about the same velocity on 8 pumps, and was more accurate. There again no recoil. (and their cheaper!)
I don't mean to imply disrespect but, when you were shooting in the army, that was firearms right?
Pellet guns, especially spring piston type like the 34, are different. When the pellet is that slow, and the spring and piston move before it does, the recoil is actually beginning before it leaves the barrel. Thus the hold sensitivity. That trigger aint the best in the world either!
I finally gave up on the springers and joined the dark side! The precharged pneumatics are so much better, easier to shoot straight. There's no springs or pistons flying around inside, just a little puff of air, and no recoil.
Jim
doehunter
hunter

Postby TopGunMich » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:45 am

Thanks for the input. You sound very knowledgable on the subject. I am not an expert on airguns, but I did read alot about the proper methods for shooting, enhancement, etc. I shot the gun after a thorough cleaning, off a pillow and had 4-6 groups at 20yds. I then tightened and Loc tited the action screw, 2-3 inch groups. The gun just never would hold a good 5 shot group. Also, the guns iron sights could not be used, they would not lower enough to be used at 20-25 yds. Thanks again for the advice, I should of bought that GAMO for another $100. Thanks for the insite.

Brian
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby doehunter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:54 pm

Brian,
Check out Straight Shooters web site. They sell a wide variety of airguns and support equipment. They also have a forum where you can pick up a lot of info.
To bad about your 34. Most airguns over a couple hundred dollars are very accurate. My Air Arms s410e in .22, beats my rimfires all over the place out to 50 yrds. At 50 yds, I can just eat the bottom out of a spray paint can!
Jim
doehunter
hunter

Postby TopGunMich » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks. I think I am just going to trade it off. I will keep to using my cz 452 with sub ammo.
TopGunMich
hunter

Return to Target Shooting