Recently Revived Trapper

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Recently Revived Trapper

Postby uttackle71 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:18 pm

I used to trap shoot every once in a while few years back and kinda never had the chance for a while. went shooting week or so ago and am hooked again. now that i am alittle older and more responsible i want to purchase my own gun. for the time being it will be almost exclusively fro trap shooting. some of my friends that hunt say i should definately get a 3 1/2 inch chambered gun so i can shoot larger loads if i want to hunt turkey. for the mean time until i can shoot consistently it will be only clay shooting. I need advice for first shotgun.
SEMI VS. O/U
i liek the look and perceived reliablity in an o/u (less stuff to go wrong)

picking o/u pretty much eliminates 3 1/2 inch chamber from what i looked up.

so i dont know there are a few semis i am looking at and possibly a couple over under. let me know what you think please
Mossberg 935
Remington 11-87
Remington spr453

Stoeger Condor
Remington spr 310

Any help is truly appreciated
uttackle71
Newb

Postby duck stalker » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:50 pm

It depends on what you want to do with the gun! Hunt or target shoot. I've been trap, and skeet shooting for 4 years now. I just recently purchased a Beretta 686 White Onyx over under " sporting" shotgun. It fit me great and actually inmproved my shooting because it fit me. The down fall...... I cost me $1600.00!! And because it's a sporting gun it looks really nice, so I do not hunt with it. I hunt with a Reminton 870, and it works just fine! Before duck season I usually hit the skeet field with the pump instead of the o/u to get used to the fit. I guess I don't feel as bad if i get mud and water on a $380.00 gun compared to a $1600.00 gun. you are right semi's are dirty (I have a Beretta 391) but they do the same thing a O/U will do! O/U can have just as much go wrong with them also, acually if somthing does go wrong with it it's more expensive to fix because they have to completly take the gun apart.

Hear are some things to keep in mind:
1. What is the majority of the guns use for? :huh:
2. What is my budget? :huh:
3. What (if any) kind of hunting am I going to do with it? :huh:
4. if you get only one gun and plan on hunting and sport shooting with it, make shure the chokes are rated for steel shoot!!! You can put lead through a steel choke but you can't go the other way around. you can damage your choke and barrel!! :headbang:

Here are the guns I have:
Remington 870(pump)=duck hunting gun
Beretta 686 White Onyx Over under= trap,skeet, and clays gun
Beretta 391 semiautomatic trap grade= back up incase the O/U breaks down. (yea i shoot A LOT )

Just some things to think about from one shooter to another and I hope this helps! :thumbsup: :skeet:
"If you lead them, they will fall"

"Know one knows true companionship until they have owned a Lab"
duck stalker
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:45 pm

If you reload, An O/U makes it much easier reclaim your empties. Especially if the club is packed and they do not give you time to chase the empties your semi spits out all over the place. If I had the budget for a target gun I would buy an O/U.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duck stalker » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:51 pm

you can get a clip that goes on your ejection port that stops the shell. After you shoot the expired shell just hangs there for you to grab.

duck stalker
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:09 pm

duck stalker wrote:you can get a clip that goes on your ejection port that stops the shell. After you shoot the expired shell just hangs there for you to grab.

Ok for trap but not much good for Skeet or sporting clays.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duck stalker » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:41 pm

I guess I didnt think of that. :headbang: your right, it does suck having to pick up shell's.

duck stalker
hunter

Postby msmall » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:18 pm

I had one of those clips for the ejection port on my 11-87, but it had a tendency to flip the empty around backwards back into the chamber.
msmall
hunter

Postby dogknott » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:56 pm

msmall wrote:I had one of those clips for the ejection port on my 11-87, but it had a tendency to flip the empty around backwards back into the chamber.

You just need to slide your clip one way orthe other, that "should"cure that problem,thats what i did when i shot a 1100.

If you only want to shoot trap, a 870 works great, if your going to shoot the other games, then look for an o/u, you can find some decent ones used fairly cheep.
I shoot with a guy that shot a browning gold 3.5 in skeet for the season, he said if it fits, shoot it, this guy shoots ALOT of skeet.
But i would suggest a non 3.5 gun unless you find one cheap enuff
dogknott
hunter

Postby PPPETE » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:51 am

I shoot 1100's for skeet. I modified the gas system so when shooting singles the empty remains in the gun. For doubles the shell in the magazine tube moves a piston to block off the modified gas ports which allows the first empty to fly normally, as the second is chambered the ports are opened and the empty stays in the gun. I only loose 4 hulls per round of skeet.....none if you shoot trap.

That being said if I was you I would buy an 870.......Wingmaster not express in 2 3/4 28 inch with Rem Chokes. If you get truely hooked before long you will want a real trap gun.
PPPETE
Newb

Return to Target Shooting