Spring is almost here

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  REDGUN 
#1 ·
Has the cost of lead made you reload less
yes125.00%
no375.00%
switched to steel00.00%

#2 ·
I am pretty much at a stand still lately with my shooting as the Wife is in clinicals for her RN degree. I have all the child, house cleaning, cooking, laundry and whatever other duties she comes up with for me to do while she studies.

Well spring break is almost here and I plan to hit the range hard. I only have 4 bags of shot left so I went to the shop to pick up a few more bags today for loading. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

What a shock. $50 a bag for chilled shot, What happened :huh:

I came home and checked my tags from last year, $12.99 a bag. I did the numbers with primers now $30 a thousand. I have about 55 to 60 lbs of powder so I did not even include that in the equation.

I can Buy Gun Club or Federal game loads for $35 a case on sale at Dunhams which makes it not worth the effort to load them. I have also found RIO for $34.99 a case. there is no way lead is worth $50 for 25lbs. I am seriously considering loading steel for sproting clays this year and saving my lead, May be next year I can get $100 a bag for it :rofl:

#3 ·
I just looked locally, 38.99 for a 25 lb bag - but I don't reload yet , so I can't speak to that price increase. In all fairness, I don't shoot enough to say the price has effected things for me, even in the sens of lead shells. If I am getting out regularly, I probably shoot 2 boxes of cheap lead a week, but with the weather and other responsibilities I havent gotten out in a month now.
-Erik

#4 ·
Its all because of china's metal market. They use so much raw materials to produce goods they have driven the price way up. Then they produce sub standard goods and ship them back here. You buy a lot more lead than you know. Like kids toys. Sorry just venting. I'm a steelworker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.