SKEET/TRAP

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

SKEET/TRAP

Postby ncduckkiller » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:28 pm

I went to the skeet range today at Lejeune and shot 4 rounds of skeet and 3 rounds of trap. I have never shot trap before but was consistant on about 20 of 25 each time. I have shot skeet often and can get 18-22 on a good day. My question is on trap. I know that you have 5 stations where you shoot 5 rounds each time. That is all I know at this point. Please give me some information on the ins and outs of trap.

I am shooting a 1400 Winchester, is there a good choke that I can get that may help my pattern a little. I know that there are gun that are specific for trap and skeet, seen some today. One guy had a 3,000.00 gun and said it wasn't a bad deal. Could shoot different size shell with the same gun. Way out of my range. Gonna stick with the 1400 for now.
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Postby Ajgall1055 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:55 pm

the only advice about choke i could give you is that for trap i like to use a more constricted choke than i do for skeet i'll usually use a modified or a light modified for for trap and an IC or a skeet choke for skeet.
Ajgall1055
hunter

Postby duck stalker » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:17 pm

Skeet choke for skeet, and full choke for trap! You need that barrel wide open for skeet, and you need that barrel closed for trap. especially for yardage. I've been shooting both for 3 years now and those are the only two chokes i'll twist in my barrel. It's fun to see those clays just blow up into dust with a full choke if you hit them good in trap. :thumbsup:
"If you lead them, they will fall"

"Know one knows true companionship until they have owned a Lab"
duck stalker
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:35 pm

Which line are you shooting from? where I shoot Trap there are 2 lines, I am probably wrong on this but I think they are 15yds and 25yds from the trap house. I use a Full from either line but some guys use a im for the close line and a full for the longer line.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ncduckkiller » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:01 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:Which line are you shooting from? where I shoot Trap there are 2 lines, I am probably wrong on this but I think they are 15yds and 25yds from the trap house. I use a Full from either line but some guys use a im for the close line and a full for the longer line.

I have no idea, I was just shooting from the 5 spots they have in front of the house. To be honest, they only have one spot to stand and now that I think about it, it was more than likely the 15 yard. At this spot they have both trap and skeet on the same range.
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Postby dogknott » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:44 am

16yard thru 27yard lines, with a line/pad at each yard mark between. i use mod at 16-21 and IM 22-27. i'm not a purist, just try to be a clay crusher. Skeet or IC chokes will do in skeet, to get another extra challenge, titen up the chokes to mod or full, that will bring you some dust, when hit
dogknott
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:15 am

when guys step back beyond the 16 yard stations they don't change their choke. That's what handicapped loads are for. They make up the yardage difference with speed. Most ASTL shoots you cannot exceed 1250 fps. That's what heavy handicaps shoot. Most AA Trap loads you buy are slow with little recoil. I recommend remington STS loads for anything beyond the 16. They are 1300 fps and as long as your not competitive it doesn't matter.
Set your feet at the first shot and do not move them until you have fired your fifth from that station. Keep your front knee bent and lean into the shot. I usually start with my bead just above the trap house and once I get settled in my stance I stop looking for the bead. Trap is all about instinctive shooting. If you have any specific questions PM me. I've been shooting trap for years three nights a week. I shoot a BT99 and it was $1300 and I'm the poor guy. My buddies shoot Perazzi's Kreighoff's and Ljutics that start at $3000 . My buddies kreighoff was $10,000 !!!
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:54 pm

don taylor wrote:when guys step back beyond the 16 yard stations they don't change their choke. That's what handicapped loads are for.

It might be true where you are at but not here. Most of the people i shoot with use a Mod at the close line and full at the distant Line. i shoot a Full from either just because I do not feel like changing chokes. Some even switch to a more open choke when we shoot doubles trap. Regular trap is kind of boreing :skeet: (Sporting clays is my game of choice) but doubles makes it quite fun. Most of the guys I shoot with have Berettas or Brownings, Some shoot 870's and I shoot an SBE which will cycle the STS & AA's 3 dram loads but not the 2.5Dram. The guys with O/U's shoot a lot of 1oz light loads but I can not until I find the O/U i am looking for.

I know a few that practice with an extra full and then shoot the turnaments with a full or Mod. they say it helps their scores but I have never been one to shoot 100 straight so I am not in the same class as they are.

It is FUN watching the guys with the $3000 + guns throwing a tantrum when they miss a bird. They take it way too seriously. We just laugh and keep busting clays and having fun.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quack smoker » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:03 pm

In my opion those high dollar trap guns are overated i shot trap with a 11-87 remington and i shot a 21 out of 25 and i was just shootin regular 7.5 shot. it all depends on how good you are. keep up the trap shootin. :thumbsup:
here they come, get ready, get some boys!!!!
quack smoker
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:35 pm

I can only state what traditional trap shooters would tell you. Most guys would say you will never get much better than a 22 or 23 average with a field gun. After 11 years of league, I've never seen a 100 shot with a field gun. If you shoot in a tournament and miss one you go home. 24 is not a good score if you shoot competitively. That's 96 out of 100. I had a 24.4 average and finished 18th out of 40 in my winter league. My league has a previous national junior champion and the current senoir champion, so I have stiffer than average competition. I know that not everybody who wants to shoot trap does it by the formal rules with the ideal gun. That's cool. To me its kind of like pool, every house has its own rules.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 20bolt » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:11 pm

What size shot do you guys use?

I just started shooting trap. I usually shoot an 18/19. I am using a Mossy 835. I know it not really a trap gun, but $2500+ is just not in the cards right now.

Anyhow, between 8 and 9 is it better to have the distance or the shot count?

20bolt
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:56 am

don taylor wrote:
I can only state what traditional trap shooters would tell you. Most guys would say you will never get much better than a 22 or 23 average with a field gun.

Then most traditional trapshooters have gone goofy... There might be more people using a purpose built gun if that one discipline is the only thing that they're interested in doing... But it's only a result of them not being interested in anything else.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:03 am

20bolt wrote:
Anyhow, between 8 and 9 is it better to have the distance or the shot count?

:

From the 16 yard line #8's work fine. But for anything further, I use 7 1/2's. Actually, all of my practice shells are #7 1/2's. :thumbsup:
REDGUN
hunter

Postby Pro-Hunt » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 pm

:rofl: :rofl: I get a kick out of guys who don't shoot competitively telling people what they need to do to shoot competitively.

There is a whole lot of truth in the saying 'whatever works for you' in the shooting sports.

For shot 7 1/2 or 8 is what all serious shooters shoot. It makes absolutely no difference which. There are some all-americans that swear by one and then there are some all-americans that swear by the other. Shoot what you think works best for you because in reality it doesn't matter. Point for example is last year the person with the highest handicap average in the ATA shoots heavy loads for handicap... the person with the second highest average in handicap(only a couple hundreths of a percentage point back) shoots about the lightest load you can get!!
Most everyone will shoot 1 1/8th ounce loads but there are those who shoot 1 or 7/8 ounce loads.

At any ATA event 7 1/2 is the biggest shot allowed so you can not use 7,6,5 .... you get the picture. You can also not have more than 1 1/8 ounce of shot.

As far as guns go...... yes a person can shoot as good with a field gun. I can shoot the same scores with the guns I hunt with as I do with my trap guns BUT>>>>> a true trap gun will have a higher point of impact which actually does help. A true trap gun will not recoil nearly as much which makes shooting 300-400 shells a day much more pleasant!! A true trap gun will have a minimum of 30 inch barrel with most people shooting 34 inch barrels. The longer sight plane helps in the game of trap. I personally feel a longer sight plane helps in hunting but to each their own.

As for telling you how to shoot over the internet..... well it really can't be done (at least not right) as a person needs to actually see what you are doing to be able to give you any meaningful pointers.
The only thing that can be said generically is this....... keep your main focus on the target and not your beads(but this holds true for any shotgunning wether it is hunting or targets).
The only other advise is practice, practice and more practice!!!

Oh by the way...... I am most definitely NOT one of those guys who gets mad when I miss. Even though I shoot competitively I still do it for fun first. There are those who do get mad though. Never did understand it.....getting mad while doing some thing for fun just doesn't make sense!!!

I have rambled on enough!! :yes: :yes:
Pro-Hunt
Banned

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:35 pm

I did ATA...........

It does not mater what the cost is of your gun.........

the secret is propper gun fit !!..... and lots of practice.

A $50,00 gun will shoot only as good as the shooter can see.

#8 or 7 1/2 at 1145fps will do it all, if you can shoot well.

Only 3dram loads are needed in very cold or windy days.

A skeet or Mod choke will break birds, however a FULL choke is the way to learn where you are shooting and what the correct lead on birds at all angles willl be.

Good shooting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Feb 8th
Had our first trap shoot with a great "Spring" day with 50 degree weather and only a 5 mph breeze, calling for a light sweater or jacket.

With the way the economy has been going, we had a fair turn out with 18 5 man teams showing up.

Had a 16yard singles and a Handicap yardage depending on the total birds broke on the 1st go round.

Our team came in second place with a score of 242 and I was 2nd over all shooter with a score of 49 out of 50 birds.

244 and a perfect 50 took the top spots.

Later
Sagebrush
hunter

Re: SKEET/TRAP

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:45 pm

me and my brother both shoot trap

he uses a skb and i use a browning bt99 plus

we both shoot full chokes

the best i have ever shot was 94 with a field gun

when i switched to a trap gun i have shot a 98

and have gotten several 50 straights from the 16
a trap gun makes a world of difference because they shoot higher which means you aim under the clay so if it makes a sudden change in flight in wind you can make a sudden adjustment
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Trap is like skeet , a .410 to a 12 Ga. can be used along with lead pellets from 9 to 7 1/2's are the standard. Anything
larger is illegal in ata or other shoots. 1250 fps is the maximum for 1 1/8oz loas in ATA shoots in the USA and also the maximum payload that can be used.

Station #1 on the far left is the starting position and will start at each of the five stations. This person is the "Captain" of the team or will start off the shoot. Checking for hearing and eye protection is the first step with correction done if needed.
He will ask " Ready on the line".....or "Shooters ready"........meaning do you have a gun,ammo and needed equipment to shoot.
"Puller ready" asking if the puller has enough loaded birds and all equipment is ready and score board if needed.

Any choke may be used..................some start out with skeet ot an I/C on the 16 but a Modified is what most use. As one gets
better a Full choke is used to have a tight pattern with out any holes to improve hits on a target. A 60-70% pattern is the norm for
trap shooting at the distance you are shooting at.

Most shooters will use a Full choke from the 24 station back to the 27 handicap station for a pattern that will put enough pellets in a patter to help break birds.

Guns: Any type may be used however with an automatic that kicks the shells toward other shooters, it is a common courtisy
to have a shell catcher to prevent this. In meets if a shooter complains the gun can be called off the line till the problem is corrected.

Shells: For the 16 yard line the 1oz load at 1180fps or a 1 1/8oz of 8 or 7 1/2's at 1145 fps is the standard load.
Handicap loads are the 3 dram 8 or 7 1/2's at 1200 fps for the 23 yard staion on back...........or may be used
in cold weather, high winds or other conditions that may cause low scores.

This is not set in concrete.........you can use any ammo or load that is safe ,from sub-sonic to 1400fps plus loads, to
have a fun day at the trap club.

The #1 rule is safty !!

Hope this helps a little..............
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:58 pm

Sagebrush wrote:Trap is like skeet , a .410 to a 12 Ga. can be used along with lead pellets from 9 to 7 1/2's are the standard. Anything
larger is illegal in ata or other shoots. 1250 fps is the maximum for 1 1/8oz loas in ATA shoots in the USA and also the maximum payload that can be used.

Station #1 on the far left is the starting position and will start at each of the five stations. This person is the "Captain" of the team or will start off the shoot. Checking for hearing and eye protection is the first step with correction done if needed.
He will ask " Ready on the line".....or "Shooters ready"........meaning do you have a gun,ammo and needed equipment to shoot.
"Puller ready" asking if the puller has enough loaded birds and all equipment is ready and score board if needed.

Any choke may be used..................some start out with skeet ot an I/C on the 16 but a Modified is what most use. As one gets
better a Full choke is used to have a tight pattern with out any holes to improve hits on a target. A 60-70% pattern is the norm for
trap shooting at the distance you are shooting at.

Most shooters will use a Full choke from the 24 station back to the 27 handicap station for a pattern that will put enough pellets in a patter to help break birds.

Guns: Any type may be used however with an automatic that kicks the shells toward other shooters, it is a common courtisy
to have a shell catcher to prevent this. In meets if a shooter complains the gun can be called off the line till the problem is corrected.

Shells: For the 16 yard line the 1oz load at 1180fps or a 1 1/8oz of 8 or 7 1/2's at 1145 fps is the standard load.
Handicap loads are the 3 dram 8 or 7 1/2's at 1200 fps for the 23 yard staion on back...........or may be used
in cold weather, high winds or other conditions that may cause low scores.

This is not set in concrete.........you can use any ammo or load that is safe ,from sub-sonic to 1400fps plus loads, to
have a fun day at the trap club.

The #1 rule is safety !!

Hope this helps a little..............

everything you have said looks correct
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby sbinoc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:26 pm

I have heard people say to aim with both eyes open. What is the conventional think on this? :help:
sbinoc
hunter

Postby BT100 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:45 pm

You point a shoutgun you aim a rifle shotguns are used for quickly moving targets it allows ones reflexes to adjust to the direction not only left to right but its vertical (when the wind is blowing into the house) climb also I know very few people that completly shoot with one eye it will hinder most people. I shoot with both eyes with blinders on my glasses it will give me a sense of tunnel vision and keeps me from getting distracted . The blinders were a two-three bird gain on a 100 targets for me. focus focus focus Good shooting
BT100
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:02 am

Two eyes are better than one............if your shooting eye is the dominant eye.

If you are right handed and your left eye is dominant, it will mess with your brain and point of aim, with
some shooters. By mounting your gun and closing one eye then the other you will see how the end of the barrel
will move left and right.

Try to shoot with both eyes open if possible.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:11 pm

First of all a couple of quick questions. Have you patterened you gun with different chokes and loads you intend to shoot at trap, probably not, and do you know where the gun prints its pattern at 13 yards? That being said, shoot the choke and load that gives you an even pattern at 13 yards and note how high, low, left , right it prints when you fire two shots at the same spot on the pattern board. At that yardage you will have a very clear idea where the gun is shooting and pattern distribution.
A trap gun should print the pattern at least 60% high of the aim point, as you should be shooting at a rising target. Even a very flat shooting gun should print a bit more pattern above the point of aim. If you need to raise the point of aim, add some mole skin to the comb of the gun one layer at a time to raise the point of aim and pattern.
I shoot some trap and have shot a .250 restriction choke from the 16 yard line to the pourch at our club and just change to a heavier load from about 25yds on back. I do know how each load will perform. I know that this seems like a lot of work for busting a few targets, but it takes the guess work out of why am I missing targets or having sloppy breaks, and puts the weight back on your shoulder.
Your 1400 Winchester can be a good trap gun as long as you are not shooting a few thousnad targets a month, it was not made to take that kind of use. Recreational trap it will work fine for a lot of years, just like a Subaru will work as fine as a Rolls to get to work and back, it probably jus isn't that cool and both will get you there.
Just keep shooting, head down and keep swinging.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:01 pm

This is a post from 2008 :lol3:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Target Shooting