Adding Jeweling to a Rifle

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Adding Jeweling to a Rifle

Postby 20bolt » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:56 pm

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I think Jeweling is pretty specific to range guns.

I want to add jeweling to my bolt rifle, so I gave it a shot on my 10/22. The 10/22 seems to be the gun that everything gets tested on. I used a steel brush from McMaster (3/16 OD, although the swirls are closer to .25"). I also made my own grinding compound from cutting fluid, soldering flux and bits of grinding wheel that end up in the wheel housings. This actually made a pretty good paste of ~100 grit.

Anyhow, I had the mill run a basic hexagonal point drill pattern (2nd row starts short of first row). I think the bolt looks pretty good, but I am not very confident the jeweling is deep enough.

How deep does jeweling need to be?

Thanks for the help,

I will put up pictures tomorrow
20bolt
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:56 am

Even jewling from the factory on most models is not very deep. I've seen some that was done by gunsmiths that were a little deeper. It really doesn't have to be to serve both the purposes of jewling.

Post some pics I would like to see it. That is something I've not done for a long time.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:16 pm

Here are the pictures I think for my bolt action rifles, I am giong to use a smaller pattern/brush. This is a .225" center to center, hexagonal patternImage
20bolt
hunter

Poor Quality of Franchi Jeweling

Postby 20bolt » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:40 pm

I was at Dicks today to check out the jeweling on Dicks nicer shotguns, but the jeweling was uneven, at radically different depths (some i would guess +.005", to almost not evident) and poorly aligned. Even though the gun was for sale at $950, I thought the workmanship was sad.
20bolt
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:15 pm

That looks like outstanding work. Hard to tell from the 2D pictures, but I would imagine that depth would be just fine.

I would imagine you could start charging DHC members for jewling work. Very nice!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:32 pm

I just finished jeweling my first round bolt. Based on my experience with the last bolt, (Ruger 10/22, flat bolt), I added 2 layers of shrink tubing over the wire brush to hold all of the bristles together. This reduced the actual circle diameter (close to .250") to the brushes listed diameter of .1875".

As this was a round bolt, I could not just index in the "y" direction but needed to actually rotate the bolt. Based on the diameter of the bolt, it actually turned out that if I wanted a hexagonal pattern, if I made the "x" direction distance .1900" center to center, I could rotate the bolt exactly 20deg to have a chord length of .1900". (see blue picture). My setup used a 3 axis mill (manual z axis, which lets me feel the brush pressure) with a rotary table set on its side with a horizontal center of rotation. (I will put of a picture of this on Monday)

Anyhow, I also changed my compound to .25 parts flux, 1 part oil, and 1 part carbide sanding dust from the grinder. I also needed to build a fixture/collet, to hold the bolt.

I am really happy with how it turned out and for $1.29 investment this turned (get it) out ok. The total time in this project was maybe 2 hrs including planning and mill set-up.

One thing I have learned is the different looks you get with the ratio of brush diameter to center/center distance. The Ruger bolt was further apart than the diameter and has a more round swirl look. The .17 bolt is nearly perfect 1/1 ratio and has what I think of as a fish scale look, which makes me take a second look at it each time because it looks blurry, but when you look at it close up, you can see that it is actually so perfect that your eye cant focus on any one detail.

Sorry the pictures aren't better. The glare plays with the camera focus.
20bolt
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:19 am

wow that looks great :eek:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Very nice! :thumbsup:
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:32 am

Does anyone know if Jeweling adds value to a gun, or does it actually decrease the value?

Example 1: The savage bolt. Its a production gun, and not very old.
Example 2: Thinking about buying an excellent condition Ruger Mark1 Target.
20bolt
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Jeweling pattern.

I am thinking of varying the brush size in my next bolt. I am hoping to change from a basic pattern to something with a little more flare that is less common. I am going to try first on some pieces of steel rod. I will post up the pictures when I get around to it, but I have been pretty busy at work.
20bolt
hunter

Re: Adding Jeweling to a Rifle

Postby BT100 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:16 am

I want you to do my .17 savage bolt how soon do you want it and how much I will send check with the bolt
BT100
hunter

Return to Target Shooting