Polarized Glasses for skeet/trap/clays

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Polarized Glasses for skeet/trap/clays

Postby Dixie Chicken » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:08 pm

I've been looking into buying a pair of nicer shooting glasses. I've noticed though that none of the "top" manufacturers (Randolph, etc.) seem to showcase polarized lenses the way the fishing industry does.

Do polarized glasses pose some kind of disadvantage rather than advantage when shooting clay birds?
Dixie Chicken
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:50 pm

I recently won a pair of Vedalo glasses at a Pheasant's Forever banquet and used them for clays and bird hunting - man, I don't know what the story is on those, but they are super sharp and excellent definition. Though i would probably balk at the price if i had to buy them.
The main reason polarizing is a good add on for fishing glasses is the purpose of removing glare off of shiny surfaces. in a sporting clay setting, you are not dealing with as much glare, so while polarization can help it is not as apparent as in a water setting.
I also used polarization on my camera lenses, and I will say that the right type of polarizing filter can transmit more striking blues in the sky - as a result, things may be in better contrast.
I think the reason it is not generally included is simply because of the reasons above - it does not provide so great a benefit to justify the increase in cost.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby don taylor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:38 am

Some companies have interchangable lens colors depending on if you shoot day, evening or night and what color targets you shoot. Yellow lenses work differently on orange targets then white ones. I prefer to wear a hat to give me "tunnel vision" and I have even thought about those card inserts with the tiny hole punched in them. My buddies use them on their glasses and swear by them. I'm a clear lens guy myself, but always a ball cap.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Polarized Glasses for skeet/trap/clays

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:48 am

You can use any type of sun glasses in any shade or mold that are out there.............

however a good pair of shooting eye glasses are rated by the "Impact" rating to stop a
pellet or object, the color hues is secondary !!

Polorized are mainly for fishing..................
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby augerin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:17 am

It all depends what you want to do with your target shooting. A good set of shooting glasses will help you to get that extra target. If your just going to have fun shooting skeet or sporting clays then about anything will do. But, like sagebrush said, good shooting glasses have a impact rating, every now and then I'll get wacked by a stray pellet. Expect to pay about $120.00 for a quality pair of shooting glasses. If you need a pescription they can handle this too. Check out:

http://www.decot.com/Default.asp

http://www.randolphusa.com/

There are other companies that make the popular wrap around style, but these guys are the main players when it comes to shooting glasses. Tom
augerin
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:19 pm

I have a pair of polarized amber safety glases from Home Depot that I have been using for sporting clays for a couple of years now. They are the wrap around kind that look just like the expensive designer models. I really like the amber tint and it seems to brighten or enhance the target colors. They were about $12, I get my sun glasses there too rather than spending $50 plus at the eyeware place. :beer:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby birdsfly26 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:31 pm

Randolph does have polarized lenses in 3 different tints for their XLW frame: http://randolphusastore.com/raxlwle.html

I've used the Copper Polarized lenses- they're great.
birdsfly26
Newb

Return to Target Shooting