Need some help

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Need some help

Postby Jim M » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:25 pm

I am 45 and have been shooting birds flying for 30 years and thought I was a pretty good shot until I went to the trap and skeet range. Can anyone give me some pointer just to get started. What are the basic techniques to get me started?
Jim M
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:53 pm

Skeet and trap are 2 very different games and everyones opinion wil be different.

For Me

Trap = 28" barrel, Full choke and #7.5 shot at about 1230fps and I let the birds get out a bit before shooting (some guys like to break them as soon as they leave the house). With my gun the bird is about 6" (precieved) above the sight plane and the go to pieces.

Skeet = 24" barrel, skeet tube and #8 or #9 shot at about 1150fps and it is pretty much a learned response. you learn where the bird is going and pick it up, break it and follow thru.

Sporting clays is just a lot of fun with most any gun, we shot today with 2 semi-autos, 2 O/U's and a pump. I like #7.5 at 1300fps and a mod choke for most of the courses around me and sometimes a IC works better.

I am not a Pro but like to shoot for fun, I do not get mad when / if I miss and I shoot just as good with my old Camo SBE as the guy with the $5,000.00 gun. the only difference is that when he misses he has a tantrum. When I miss I laugh about it.

So start out with your duck gun and have some fun. the best way to learn is shoot with some guys that know what they are doing and they can give you advice on the fly.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REDGUN » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:05 am

Good foot position, or lack of it, has a lot to do with the fundamentals. Make sure you feet are set up so you are most comfortable at the break point. Skeet targets are usualy broken about centerfield, give or take a couple of yards. Set up so you are most comfortable (like you were going to shoot a rifle at a stationary target) pointing at the center of the field, then twist back towards the target. This might feel "weird" at the call for the bird. But when the target enters the break zone, you will be back in position to make the shot. :thumbsup:
REDGUN
hunter

Postby Aythya » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:22 pm

I shoot skeet competively and have taken class from one of the top shooters in the game (Todd Bender). Some basics for skeet is on every station (except 7 and High 8) line up with your belly button towards the low house. Hold points (where you start with the gun pointed before calling for the bird) for all stations are one-third from the house to the center stake. Eyes should be focused about half-way between the hold point and the house. Once you pick up the bird, allow hand-eye coordination to take over for lead. Keep your head down and follow through. Easier said than done, of course.

Good Luck
Get 'em close.
Aythya
hunter

Postby Dixie Chicken » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:39 am

Well, clay shooting advice is easy to come by and you can spend about as much time as you want honing your skills. You could read 8 hours a day for the rest of your life and not cover all the trap shooting guides, manuals, and training materials out there. However, if you're just looking for the basics/rules on how to play the game I found these pamphlets by remington very helpful. They cover basics like foot position, where to start the gun when you call for the bird, leads at various distances and angels, etc.

Trap:

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/trap_fund ... s_2004.pdf

Skeet:

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/skeet_fun ... s_2004.pdf
Dixie Chicken
hunter

Return to Target Shooting