New pistolero

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

New pistolero

Postby gahunter » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:39 pm

I bought me a Springfield Arms 1911 .45 yesterday and I love it. I shot it today and was actually quite accurate and consistent with it. It makes big holes! :salude:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:14 pm

congrats on the new gun.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Re: New pistolero

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:09 pm

gahunter wrote:I bought me a Springfield Arms 1911 .45 yesterday and I love it. I shot it today and was actually quite accurate and consistent with it. It makes big holes! :salude:

that was the 1st thing i thought when i shot my colt 1911... :smile: that's a beautiful sight, isn't it? congrats on the new pistol. what are your plans with it?
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:39 pm

ga,

I am officially jealous :oops:

That is such a sweet "little" :mrgreen: gun.......

Have fun w/it, and POST PICS!!!!! :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gahunter » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:32 pm

Shrp the only plans I have is to shoot it and keep hollow points in it to put some dumbass intruder down for the count if that (God forbid) ever happens. What kind of ammo do you use in yours? I have heard that it can take a while for the gun to get "loosened up" and that they can be quite picky about what kind of ammo that they shoot well. I had a little trouble with it jamming yesterday. I was shooting Winchester hollow points. Any advice would be great. :salude:
gahunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:20 am

Oil it up, and stick w/ Ball ammo! :thumbsup:

a .45" hole will knock the hell out of anyone.... no need for a hollow point for that gun!

They are alot more reliable, not to mension cheeper too! :thumbsup:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:26 am

The reason I had the hollow points is that the guy I bought the gun from gave them to me. Believe me the next ammo I buy will be much cheaper.
gahunter
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:43 pm

Get some cheap GI mags and you'll be set. I love my .45. It took me a little bit to get accurate with it, but now, I would trust my life with it. I just bought some hogue rubber wrap around grips with the finger grooves and am installing them tomorrow.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby had » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:54 am

redneck wrote:
They are alot more reliable, not to mension cheeper too!
-Stouff

the original design was for ball ammo. the 1911s are more reliable with it. i have shot all kinds of diferent ammo out of mine. the best accuracy i have got was with federal hollow points but 2nd was walmart 100 packs of win ball! that is all i use now. it helps that it is only $20 a 100!
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

handguns

Postby Mongo Lodge » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:53 pm

Congrats on the SA 1911.
Yes, they are fun to shoot and they shoot well.
I have a few Colts; Series 70 and 80.
A Sig Sauer P220, 45 ACP (carried on duty for several years) then we went to manditory Service Weapon. Beretta 96D DAO 40 S&W.

Once you get good with a DAO handgun you don't want to shoot anything else because it reminds you of what a piece of crap you were issued and must carry. Other than shooting a revolver, using the double action trigger pull. So, I still get to spend time with some other toys like my Ruger Redhawks in 41 and 44 magnums. It's terrible, blue, stainless, 5 1/2 and 7 1/2" barrels.

A while back a friend left law enforcement to another calling and sold me his Glock 22C. It was in the back of the gunsafe until last month. I decided to go out and shoot it for kicks. Having a ton of 40 S&W sitting around after a long cold winter. It performed very well and I was bitten by the Glock bug. Now a fan of tactical tubberware.

If someone will tell me how to post pics...I have quite a few firearms in my collection, duckboats etc.. Time to charge up the digital camera.

Mongo
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
Mongo Lodge
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:07 am

Mongo.

I sent you a PM w/ instructions fer posting pics :thumbsup:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

posting pics

Postby Mongo Lodge » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:49 am

Thanks Stouff, I'll get to work on them on my next days off duty.

I'll try not to bore anyone with "plain jane" firearms, maybe the REGISTERED STUFF on Form 4 transfers will make up for it (a little or a lot). You know just basic weapons: everybody need a couple of 22's. Well me too but I also enjoy suppressed weapons technology in a .22.
The 223 Rem is a standard small game/varmint cartridge. I agree, but sometimes you might need to send 30 rds downrange with a single activation of the trigger (you know what I mean). A small U.S. Military Arms collection WWI to Vietnam. Sporting arms for slightly bigger game that might need upto and including 375 H&H Mag or 416 Rem Mag. Then assorted revolvers, pistols, black powder and shotguns... and I still have a duckboat to test out before the season starts in Maine.

I bet you'd never guess I like firearms!!!!!!
Mongo
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
Mongo Lodge
hunter

Re: posting pics

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:10 pm

Mongo Lodge wrote:
I bet you'd never guess I like firearms!!!!!!

No Way! :eek:

:laughing:

I think you and us all both... :salude:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby DuffMaN » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:03 am

Man, guns are great. I'm a techno freak, so I like screwing around with the latest and greatest which there always is in the gun industry.

Golden Sabres from federal are a nice defense load.
"I hope I don't have any drugs in the ashtray..."
-Drummond Taylor
DuffMaN
hunter

Return to Target Shooting