A new Rifleman

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

A new Rifleman

Postby Mongo Lodge » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:06 pm

Hey guys,
My father-in-law has been in town for the last two weeks, he brought his former Brother-in-law (still good pals) and tried a little fly-fishing around this corner of Maine. Now, Ernie is from the UK and has never shot a firearm. So, I introduced him to my small collection (Armory) and he was dumbfounded that I could maintain this in my home. Anyway, he was very attracted to the M1 Carbine. Every firearm has a story with me so it takes a while. I explained the Carbine was an intermediate weapon issued to truck drivers, officers and certain MOS's where a pistol was not the best choice and it was harder to teach a soldier pistol mastery versus riflemanship and so on. I offered for him to pick out five or so and we can go shooting. We took a few rifles, the carbine and a black powder musket.
You could not wipe the grin off his face especially after taking several short video clips with my M-16, streams of brass in the air and impacts down range. BUT he was most impressed with the replica 1853 3 band 58 caliber rifled musket. Something about the character of that musket...

Two days later, I was working the midnight shift and dropped in on them around 6 AM. I informed Ernie that I was in need of a nitrocellulose fix and invited him to go shooting again instead of fishing that morning. I met him an hour later when I got off duty. This time we had an Enfield No 4, a Glock 22C, Ruger GP100 and Beretta 96D. As we shot the 100 year newer design rifle first(from the 1853 Musket). Then starting at 10 yards with 38 Spcl wadcutters for initial training, shooting a full size silhouette target. He starts out very well, then we try standard 38 Spcl loads then some old 38 Spcl +P Silver Tips, we had moved back maybe another five yards and the groups started opening up to most of the target. No problem, remember he is maybe five minutes into shooting a handgun. We walk back to the truck to get more ammo and I'm telling him about full power 357 Magnum loads. He wants to give it a try-at 50 yards no less. OK. The first round with magnum concussion flat out ruins the rest of the revolver session. Now he is closing his eyes and flinching. I had set up steel targets all across the berm where the target was planted and dropped 12, 12" plates in rapid succession but had to explain I have thirty someodd years of handgun training and I hunt with a Ruger Redhawk... A little shooting of the other pistols and thinking back to the story behind the Carbine, Ernie proclaimed he was a rifleman :yes: .

Mongo
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
Mongo Lodge
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:34 pm

That's awesome. There's nothing like watching someone shoot a gun for the first time when it hooks em.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:33 pm

:withstupid:

Thats great. Glad you did it....

and :toofunny: to him!

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to Target Shooting