High brass target loads

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

High brass target loads

Postby spoonerlab » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:29 pm

Are there any high brass target loads out there on the market? So far i have not been able to find any and my gun will not cycle low brass.
spoonerlab
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Federal Gold Medal and fiocchi makes some also.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:24 pm

Also RIO and DIANA, some european brands.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:20 am

Rio's are great rounds for the price. I had a gun that was picky about Ammo but would still shoot AA's.

High brass and low brass used to mean something when paper hulls were common, but anymore its just a marketing ploy. Just buy nice shells and you should be good to go.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:48 pm

My gun is pretty picky too and it cycles AA's flawlessly....it does 'ok' with Remington trap loads too but any other low-brass target loads don't cycle for crap.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:26 pm

try some 3-1/4 dram 1-1/8 loads like the AA sporting clays loads. they should cycle any 3" chambered gun. they will cycle my 3.5" chambered guns without a problem. the 3 dram loads sometimes give me an issue. the white rino loads fron fiocchi are pretty hot too.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby augerin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:33 am

What kind-of gun are you having trouble with? When you say the gun will not cycle, do you mean won't extract or make the action work? I have a 11-87 super mag that cycles low recoil target loads just fine. It is keeped clean, good "O" ring and works everytime, even in this cold weather were having. When it's cold, I'll use the teflon based lubricant, instead regular rem oil.
If you reload, I'm using 17.0grs of red dot, claybuster 1oz wad, win 209 in a "AA" hull. Pressure is good and velocity breaks sporting clays or skeet targets just fine. 3 1/4 dram loads are like over-kill for target shooting. To many of these and it could develop into a flinch. Then you can pay the big bucks for a release trigger. :smile: Tom
augerin
hunter

Postby spoonerlab » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:33 am

thanks for all the replys :thumbsup: and i have an old wards westerfield 600a that i got from my grandad says wont cycle the low brass loads, personally i havent tried low brass out of it yet but I will soon. I am not sure if the extractor wont work or if its the action but i will try it sometime soon.
spoonerlab
hunter

Postby augerin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:41 am

I thinking maybe a real good cleaning job (pull the trigger assembly), get all the years of gunk out of it and you should be good to go. My uncle had one like this and used it for skeet shooting and hunting. Good luck.
augerin
hunter

Postby augerin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:45 pm

Just found some other info:
Quote:
This model Cross refernces out to a Remington Sportsman 58, introduced in 1956, the Sportsman-58 was Remington's first gas-operated shotgun. You can request an owners manual for obsolete firearms at www.remington.com click on sportsmans library, then downloads, then owners manuals, then click obsolete owners manuals, you will have to register but it is worth it to get the free manual.

My buddy has a couple of these and uses them all the time, by the way if you need new barrel he takes a rem 870 barrel and drills a port for the gas-operation. Like on a 1100 or 1187 I would check to see if the gas port is clear, use appropriate size drill bit.
augerin
hunter

Postby spoonerlab » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:07 pm

thanks for the info i was trying to get in touch with some company to get a new barrel for the gun so i could shoot steel but i think ill try that instead.
spoonerlab
hunter

Re: High brass target loads

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:12 am

Sounds like it just needs a real good cleaning.

Take it to a gunsmith and let him put it into the "Tank" which is filled with a liquid solvent, that will not harm the gun and
the vibration will get ALL and EVERY bit of oil,grease and gunk off the gun and it will be just like new !!

Then you will be good for another 50 years !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Target Shooting