Empty Traps

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Empty Traps

Postby captainduckhead » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:50 am

I am almost embarrassed to say, I had one of the worst days on the trap line yesterday. Out of 22 traps I had 6 snapped empties. 2 of them were conibears. I think I had a mink wiggle out of one of them because the hole it was set on smelled crazy like upset Mink. The jaws of the trap hit a piece of re-rod when it fired and didn't close all the way. Additionally another 110 Conibear was tripped but the dog didn't release so the trigger was just flapping freely.
The rest were all leg holds, one had a duck wing that I used for bait in it, and the other 2 contained belly fur.
Wow, it feels like my first year all over again.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Re: Empty Traps

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:08 am

Eh, it happens to the best of us. I've had a rock stuck in the jaws of one of mine before and grey fox fur in the jaws. Talk about pissed, that was 40 bucks down the drain that year. Fortunately I pulled one out with that set later though.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby captainduckhead » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm

That would be a tough break. I've only ever caught one Grey Fox in my life and I caught it in a leaning pole set that I had for Fisher. We get mostly Reds around here.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:12 pm

captainduckhead wrote:That would be a tough break. I've only ever caught one Grey Fox in my life and I caught it in a leaning pole set that I had for Fisher. We get mostly Reds around here.

The one I missed was on a post set. Then I switched it up and caught the one by putting my lure under my trap then bedding it. Caught him with his paws in the cookie jar. I think that's my favorite set to be honest.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum