Houdini the 'Coon

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Houdini the 'Coon

Postby captainduckhead » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:09 pm

This is a great story.
I've been trapping around the marina where I work, and I've done pretty well. There is one area of the marina that is just one huge dock, and it leads up to the Restaurant on our property. I've seen muddy Raccoon tracks a number of times walking up the dock, but there is no way to place a leg hold anywhere, and a conibear is too dangerous due to small dogs and cats in the area, so I decided on a cage trap.
On a side note, there is another trapper in the area that uses our marina this time of year to dock his boat, it happens to be nearby my cage set.
The first night I set my cage, I went to check it the next morning and the cage was tripped and laying off in the grassy area beyond the dock. I was a little P-O'ed. I figured the other trapper had walked past on his way to his boat and taken my catch.
This is totally out of character for this guy who happens to be a very well respected, upstanding guy, but I had no other theory.
I printed up a big letter with my name on it, asking that no one remove any animal from my trap. I taped it to the door, and rebaited and set the cage.
The next night, the same thing happened, almost exactly the same circumstances.
Now I'm super pissed off.
I came down with fence post staples and a hammer. I stapled the trap to the dock
This morning I came down to check it, and there was my coon.
He had been sticking his feet through the botom of the cage and walking it over to the grassy area, where he somehow reached through and unlatched the door and escaped.
He is now stretched and drying on a bass wood stretcher.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Re: Houdini the 'Coon

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:40 pm

You know what they say right, Semper Gumbi. Hopefully it was worth the effort.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Houdini the 'Coon

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:35 am

Wow that's wild. Cool that you figured him out.

How are the rats and mink going? Are you going to try for any beaver this year? Our rat/mink season starts on the 25th. It looks like we'll actually have open water for the opener. :banana: :banana:
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum