Mountian Lion kill?

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Mountian Lion kill?

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:01 pm

I need some help and I fuigure you fur chasers might know. While deer hunting this week I found a deer in the woods. It had been partially eaten, not the back end and flanks like coyotes would do, but some meat around the neck and front shoulders. When the animal was done it raked all the leaves in a 5 foot radius around the kill and piled them onto the carcass, making sure to cover the area where it had been eating from. Is this a cat characterisitc? There are bobcats in our area and 2 unconfired mountian lion sightings. The thing that really got my attention was that the skin was removed from the middle of the stomach up to the front shoulders, when i looked at the hide it looked like it had been cut with a knife, no tooth marks, no little scratch marks, just one big clean cut. If it was a claw it was a big one. Do mountian lions do this? Any help would be apprectiated. I have some pics of the kill I will try to post, they should make things clearer. I couldnt make out a print either...
Bill Herian
hunter

Re: Mountian Lion kill?

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:53 pm

Not sure Bill, I don't have to deal with bobcat or mountain lions around here. I'll copy your post and stick it on the trapping forums I'm on. I'll get you an answer though if no one on here can. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:37 pm

I copied your exact post and posted it on the trapping forums I'm on. From what they have said what you have typed is the exact definition of a mountain lion kill.

Typical chacteristics of a cougar kill; initial eating of front quarters, hide neatly skinned (pulled off) and covering of kill between feedings. IMO its definitly a cougar kill.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby badger » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:44 am

for sure a lion kill. they can skin an animal better then you and i could at times. I have seen this many times from sheep to deer and calves. Keep your eyes open and keep looking up on limbs you might walk under, they will lay on the limb and watch thing walk by.
Fowl language spoken here.

Go here, <http://www.flickr.com/photos/brockbadger/> , for my hunting pictures.
badger
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Thanks preach! I guess its time to tread lightly and keep my sky eyes going through deer season! I talked to a bio prof here at point who specialzes in predators. He said bobcats do this do and said he feels it was more likley a bobcat given the location and such. He did say that its sometimes hard to tell the difference and it COULD certianley be a lion kill. My cousin got a look at a big cat-looknig critter during bowhunting. He said it was in the brush and he didnt see a long tail but it was big and brown and NOT A DEER. Hope I dont have to throw down with a 130 pound wildcat next season! :boxing:
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum