Fleas! Help!

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Fleas! Help!

Postby captainduckhead » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:42 am

I caught a nice coon yesterday morning, actually number 15 for the season. I started making the initial cuts to skin it and noticed a flea, no big deal, i picked it off killed it and continued skinning. I then noticed another flea, and another. The coon has fleas. This is the first one I've ever encountered with fleas. I've caught and skinned scores of coons in my life, and like I said 15 so far this season, and never noticed one with fleas. My work shop is attached to my house and I have 2 dogs so I'm a little worried about an infestation. I took the coon outside last night and let it sit in the yard during an overnight rain storm. I was hoping the fleas would leave. Have any of you encountered this? What is the proper way of handling the stuation?
The coon's body temp had already dropped. I caught it in the morning, killed it, and had it hang in my shop all day until that night when I finished dinner and went out to skin. I had a coyote, and 5 muskrats also hanging right next to the coon, and none of them had fleas at all. So what's the deal with this?
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Re: Fleas! Help!

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:17 am

I'd skin it and wash it in some flea soap after you flesh it and all. If it's too bad to skin try going ahead and washing it. It'll clean up the finished fur. If you want an inside tip on how to really make your hides shine at an auction wash them all and put them in fabric softener afterwards. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby captainduckhead » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:04 am

I've done that, the fabric softener thing. Works very well for "fur out" animals
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby big8s » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:08 pm

when you have that issue again (and you will) put the animal in a plastic bag and spray flee and tick spary in the bag and leave it in there for 10 or 15 minutes with bag sealed up.
big8s
hunter

Postby waldo2382 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:01 pm

In all on the lynx and fox we get up here, they seem to be infested with fleas. As soon as I get to the shop, they all get a bath in flea powder and are not kept warm, but good enough to skin. This is while it is 0 to -40 outside. Don't want a green belly on them.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:14 am

Fleas=No big deal. I bet 90-95% of the beaver and rats we catch have fleas. Coons are probably 60%. Skin them up, and then get the jitters when you feel them crawling in your hair. Throw them in the freezer and vola! no more fleas. I do not suggest being a skank and not showering before you crawl in bed though. I've dealt with fur ever since I was two years old with my father, and have not had one problem with an "infestion" in the house. Keep the flea and tick crap on your pets, and you'll be fine.
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum