newb to yote hunting

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

newb to yote hunting

Postby daffy... » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:42 pm

new to predator hunting: after the previous white tails season i noticed the yotes are out of control! crazy huh?

so ive been doing a little studying and brainstorming. i want to bait a area near my hunting grounds.

so i decide i would take a 5 gallon bucket cut the bottom out and put chicken wire over the bottom. im gonna take old hamburger, chopped up fish scrap and anything else i can find around my resturant also whatever else i can find in friends freezers. then hang the bucket just high enough so they can pick pieces of scrap out from the bucket. high enough so coons and skunk leave it alone and hanging so crow dont bother with it.

i plan to check the bait often so my scent will be around and theyll undermind the scent and focus on a annual meal.

being there is 2 feet of snow and temps in the teens most nights the bait is going to freeze. dont no what im going to do about that. hoping the little piece will still be able to be pulled threw the holes

ill be using a ak47 in .223 caliber taking shots from 50 -75 yards. a tree stand is in the area if needed.

i plan to let sit for 4 weeks til our next full moon.

your thoughts, info, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Re: newb to yote hunting

Postby TopGunMich » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Your usually better off, just calling and moving around. The bait may work alot of guys use butcher scrapes and water to make a popsicle deal. Ak 47, you cant have more than 6 rounds in it a lot of states, better check!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:01 pm

how long do yall usually try to call at each spot, im using an electronic caller
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby ohsay » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:28 pm

15 minutes or so most of the time for me when I'm hunting in an open area. By that time anything within hearing range will usually have reacted and become visible to me. In certain tight cover spots I'll stretch that some, and obviously more when trying for a bobcat or something. Some guys are at each spot 30-45 minutes, but around here, from my experience, that's just time wasted and less stands in the end. I've had one come in on me this year after about 25-30 minutes, but I had already moved to my next spot down the line, and still got her. I think she had heard me on the first stand and was coming from a LONG ways off. She just kept right on coming though when I got to my next stand and starting calling again.
2009/10 Season Totals:
doves-15
greenheads-53
bluebills-8
pintails-8
redheads-7
widgeon-23
gadwall-8
woodies-3
teal-13
goldeneyes-9
snow geese-18
canadas-102

turkeys-6
coyotes-51
bocats-3
badger-1

and my very first deer, should have done it decades ago
ohsay
hunter

Postby Norsky » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:55 pm

I have used road kill deer for bait in the past with permission from the CO. What I have found is that the coyote when baited will hoard the food for a day or so then leave what little is left for the crows. We do not have alot of coyotes in the area and food is not an issue for them. Calling seems to be better in my opinion also. I wait at least 30 minutes. The ones here are educated and rarely come charging in like the fox used too.
Norsky
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:02 am

daffy... wrote:
ill be using a ak47 in .223 caliber taking shots from 50 -75 yards. a tree stand is in the area if needed.

I didnt know that AK's came in .223 I thought they were all 7.62x39 I know mine is, so is my buddies. Anyway, where do you live where you can shoot yotes out of a tree? Around here its deer and bear only. All other game must be taken from the ground. Here is a tip. Pick up a call...I use a primos power dogg theyre about $150 good price for a beginner. I wouldnt recommend going out a spending $700 on a Fox Pro right off the bat. Pick up a video...There is alot of info in videos. This time of year (february) coyotes are getting geared up for mating so I use coyote sounds, challenge howls, female invites, etc. The rest of the year I use distress sounds, rabbits, rodents, fawn, pups, etc. The corresponding decoy can help too. Right now im using coyote sounds but I only have a distressed animal motion decoy, I dont use it. Some day I will pick up a coyote decoy because this is my favorite time to hunt them. I hunt for fur and theyre the most prime right now, besides, by February Im getting burned out on ice fishing. Forget about baiting, try to fool their ears. DO NOT let them get down wind of you. Good luck, and if that doesnt work get a red filtered spotlight and try it at night, theyre a little more comfortable at night and my respond better to calling than durring the day. As long as you havent over called the same area previously with no results. If you called one in a shot it, you didnt educate anything, try again tomorrow. If you called and one didnt come in, doesnt mean that one didnt respond, it just means that he busted you before you saw him. Give it a rest for a week or two.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:20 am

yep its a wasr sar3. the sar10 is 7.62 and the sar3 is .223 or 5.56

best of both m16 and ak- reliablity and quick break down in a caliber better suited for combat
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum