Begginer in Trapping??

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Begginer in Trapping??

Postby Decoy King » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi, I have been trapping for one year, and havent really had much luck. I am getting ready to start up again next weekend. And was wondering about somethings. Today I went out and looked for some good spots to put out traps. I found a spot where a drainage pipe runs under a road off the side of the mountain into a calm spot on the river. the water runs down about a ten foot slope through some trees and brush with a few foot deep pools. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put a 110 conibear at the mouth of the pipe or where it meets the river. There are some Raccoon and Muskrat tracks in ther mud there at the river. So any info would be really good with helping me thanx. :help:
Decoy King
hunter

Re: Begginer in Trapping??

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:39 pm

It would be an excellent idea to put a coni on both sides of the culvert.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Decoy King » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:30 pm

Thank you I'm gonna try it.
Decoy King
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:12 pm

I would put in a pocket set with q 1 1/2 foothold on the lower side of the culvert. A 110 wont help much with coon
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:30 am

I missed the 110 part. If you're going for coon buy yourself some 220's.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckpoop1956 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:38 pm

conibears are illegal to put on land in the state where I was from Wi. If there is some moving water coming through that pipe, take a 1 1/2 coil and put a small strip of tin foil on the pan and cut it into thin strips so it moves in the current a coon will paw at it thinking its a fish or just curious. Also drive down the road and look for culverts(drainage pipes that go under the road) if you see paths coming down the hillside leading to the pipe set a 1 1/2 or a 2 coil on the high side of the pipe about 20 yards off the road just where traffic can't see the set and take a piece of carp or front legs of a muskrat and wire it to a 4 foot piece of lathe , pound piece of lathe into ground about a foot off the path, set trap about two inches away from lathe. Stake trap directly under trap. also with the same set if possible set another number two on a stump within 20 yards of the set. sometimes a pair of fox will come down and you'll get one and the other one will run over to the closest thing thats elevated to survey what just happened and you will get a double. Make sure you check these traps right at sun up because if you have caught something it will be highly visible to traffic and nothing but bad can come out of that.
Long gone and in a hurry
duckpoop1956
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:16 pm

As long as your in water here you can use coni's. I don't know about other states though. Make sure to read your regs before you do it.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gregwile » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Hey begginer, how big is the culvert and how deep is the water? If the culvert is wide enough make your sets to the sides of it as the coons and muskrats will stay along the edges. 110's are good for rats and mink and again mink stay along the edges. A 1 1/2 single or double spring coil or long spring will catch and hold a coon but if you can not have it set as a drown set then a mink or muskrat (rat) will chew its leg off. 110's are legal in most places to set on land as they are not considered a risk to pets or humans, that being said check your regs. If legal they are deadly for rats and mink in a blind trail set along the inside edges of the culvert but anchor your traps and make sure they are stable. Pocket sets baited with apple will take lots of rats and if you use a fish based lure or just chicken hearts and livers you will take both mink and muskrat. Coon will go for both those baits as well but you need to step up to the 220 coni and possibly a dog proof box. Nomatter what welcome to the world of trapping and good luck. :beer: Greg
Don't dwell on the past, learn from it!
Take a Kid hunting and fishing.
gregwile
hunter

Postby gatrapper » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:40 pm

gatrapper
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum