Conibears?

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Conibears?

Postby Decoy King » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:29 am

Hi, I was wondering about conibears. I was getting ready to pick some up for some Muskrat and Coon trapping. I have heard that you shoud boil your foot traps and then dye them. But I was also wondering if it would make a difference if I boiled the Conibears to or not. Because, most of the time for the Muskrats there gonna be under water so I was wondering if it would make a difference. Thank you for any info. :thumbsup:
Decoy King
hunter

Re: Conibears?

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:29 am

I'd dye them or at least boil them to get the grease off of them. What ever you do DON'T wax them. You'll get caught in them for sure if you do. I dye mine, but it's not necessary. If you plan on putting any on land or above the water boil them. Not sure how well critters can smell underwater, but you know what they say about an ounce of prevention. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:39 am

If you get them early enough in the year, before the season starts, just dip them in gas and hang them outside. The gas will get the grease off and the rain will coat them in a nice glaze of rust. Which is the perfect camo pattern for conibares. I dont worry too much about scent with rats and coons (you still have to pay a little attention), its the canines you have to be EXTRA carefull with.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Here is the easest way this time of year. Buy them run them through the dish washer with no soap and then spray paint them with rustolum in the color of your choice. Otherwise cold dip them in the summer and let hang for a couple weeks.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby gregwile » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:42 pm

Just to add to this, I would dye them either with logwood crystals or speed dip. Reason being they will preform better and last longer. I've only been trapping since I was 14 and I'm now 52 so I may not know much on this subject so ask around and also think why they blue or coat gun steel, is just to make it pretty?
Don't dwell on the past, learn from it!
Take a Kid hunting and fishing.
gregwile
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:37 pm

[quote="Preacher1011"]I'd dye them or at least boil them to get the grease off of them. What ever you do DON'T wax them. You'll get caught in them for sure if you do. I dye mine, but it's not necessary. If you plan on putting any on land or above the water boil them. Not sure how well critters can smell underwater, but you know what they say about an ounce of prevention. :thumbsup:[/quote]
Preacher, I used to think like you do. Don't wax the conibears. I thought up a great way of waxing conibears and it works like a charm. After your conni's are dyed and dried, I set them and turn the spring or springs down toward the bottom of the trap. second I grip the upper jaws (the one with the dog and the trigger mechanism) with 2 pairs of channel locks, (one in each hand). Next, I dunk the conibears nearly under the wax leaving only the top jaws (trigger and dog) above the surface. This will wax the entire trap, except the dangerous parts. It gives the trap great performance, longer life, without the danger of wax on the firing mechanisms. I even do this with 330's
I should add that I leave them set and hang them up until they are thoroughly cooled and dried before springing them and putting them away.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum