OFF SET TRAPS

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

OFF SET TRAPS

Postby buckrutt29 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:19 pm

I am looking at switching my type of traps. Right now I am using the Victor soft-catch #3's for coyotes but they are getting costly. Will the Duke off-set #2's catch and hold a coyote and not break any bones? thanks in advance
buckrutt29
hunter

Re: OFF SET TRAPS

Postby Wld Fowl » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:00 pm

First off you are going from a #3 to a #2. The cost of laminating and reinforcing the #2 might not be all that cost effective.

The #2 needs to have the base plate reinforced and the jaws need to laminated in order to hold up to a Yote.

They OSJ will help with the foot damage but like I said you have to get some work done to them.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Wld Fowl
hunter

Postby gregwile » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:49 pm

I'd prefer to go to a #3, 4 coil os. It's stronger and will catch them a bit higher up on the leg where there is less likely hood of breaking bones than there is in the ankle and foot area where the #2 is likely to catch them. JMO :beer:
Don't dwell on the past, learn from it!
Take a Kid hunting and fishing.
gregwile
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 am

The myth that a trap will break bones is just that, a myth. If you use the right sized trap for the job your trap won't break bones. I regularly shove my hand in a #2 coilspring trap to prove this. When an animal breaks it's leg it's usually from it struggling after the catch. It will either lunge forward and pull a limb out of socket or get the chain in a bind and twist till something breaks. The best thing you can do to prevent this is install a spring on the chain of your trap (look at the victor padded jaw traps) and install swivels on a couple parts of your chain.

The fact that padded jaws prevent injury is false as well. They are actually worse on an animals foot than steel jaws. Think about it this way. If I put your leg between two boards and held them there as hard as I could for as long as I wanted you'd be fine. Now lets say I put a tourniquet on your leg. You'd lose the leg quick. Same principle applies to traps. The steel traps allow blood to flow to the foot, rubber jaws conform around the leg and cut off circulation resulting in the loss of a limb.

I wish the treehuggers would do some research before they throw their garbage out and make it seem like fact. Heck the commission that sets our game laws fell for it. We're just allowed to use padded jaws on the land (we can use steel in the water). This goes completely against what our biologists, game wardens, etc are telling them.

And for the record, I know plenty of people that use #2 offsets for yotes. Most of them use the square jawed Bridger's or Montana Trap Co. traps for them. Laminated jaws might be a good idea, but not absolutely necessary IMO.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Norsky » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

I wanted to add to Preachers comment a little bit. One advantage of the off set jaws also is that they allow the jaws to come up higher. The higher the jaws come up the harder it is for them to pull out. I laminated a few dozen 1.75 victors and put base plates on them also. It is not that terrible to do if you have a friend with a welder. I have had goo luck holding coyotes with a 4 coiled Victor #3 and MB 650's. Dave
Norsky
hunter

Postby gregwile » Sat May 15, 2010 3:35 am

Preach, some of the old jaw traps would break bones as they were made to close tightly together and it was that inital smash of the heavey springs and tight fitting jaws that did it. This was true mostly when large traps caught smaller animals eg. #4 Dbl long spring on a fox or coon. I know for sure on the coons, and one broken finger :crying: :oops: I had an old trap that I used on beaver and it was like 2 sizes bigger than a #4 Victor dbl long spring, even though the springs were weak those jaws came together with one heck of a smash. Lost that trap a few seasons back due to some ice on the river that took it. :sad: It would only be a wall hanger now as the jaw spread was around 9" or 10" and the most we are aloud is 7.5". But yes you are right most of the damage is done by the animal strugling to free it's self. This is less likely to happen with the os and laminated jaw traps of today.
Don't dwell on the past, learn from it!
Take a Kid hunting and fishing.
gregwile
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum