Crow Hunting

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Crow Hunting

Postby b-144 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:49 pm

I'm wanting to get into crow hunting, got to hammer some once when quail hunting and it got me hooked, but not sure how to start with all the calls and decoys and what not, please help!!!!!!!!!
Gun Control- Using both hands.
b-144
hunter

Re: Crow Hunting

Postby Wld Fowl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:23 pm

Here is a great place to start looking. http://www.crowbusters.com/

I made my own decoys out of plywood so I would have more.

Ryan
Wld Fowl
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:07 pm

I am not sure where you are(south of me I would guess) but I picked up an e-call and have about 15 decoys. The key to a good shoot is finding a field where you see a lot of crows hanging around. The next thing you need to worry about is staying hidden/camoflaged. The website above is where I picked up all my tips.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=119994
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby Poncho77 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:38 pm

we field hunt them just like you would hunt geese. we use our layout blinds, an ecaller about a dozen decoys and a battery operated crippled bird decoy that flaps its wings while laying on the ground. We whack the crap out of em. I think avery or greenhead gear makes a flocked crow decoy with a motion stake. thats what we use.
Poncho77
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:23 pm

i use crow hunting for a warm up too duck & goose.i use a caller with 2 tapes.you have to make sure you get the first 1 cause it is the scout.but been hide is very important.i use 6's or 7.5 shot and prefer 1 1/8 load adverage trap load works fine.but to each there own.i have had days where you would shoot 2 box's of shells in 30 minutes.the best time i found was at the crack of dawn and know where they are roosting.and at night coming back to the roost.i can only hunt them on fri sat and sunday.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:27 am

So does anyone actually eat crow? I have heard some do, just never have had any.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:27 am

ive seen recepies... but I'll leave them for the yotes.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby 3Fold » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm looking to try getting after some crows, does PA allow electronic calling? Any recommendations? crowbusters.com has a few tapes for sale. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
3Fold
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:15 am

3Fold:AllPredatorCalls.com has a good selection of calls and tapes. Two tapes that I've had good luck with are 'Sentinel Crow" and "Crow Come Here" these are Johnny Stewart or Dennis Kirk tapes. The first is good if you don't want to rile them up, but get 1 or 2 at a time to come in. The second riles them up and you may get a bunch to come in, but after you shoot they'll leave and probably not return. Having a good location is key, then being well camo'd, some decoys in trees and on the ground, and then a mouth or electronic call and you should be good.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby Feather Seeker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:18 pm

:beer: i have hunted crow with and without decoys,and ecallers.both worked good.now i just use a mouth call in TOTAL camo,it allows me to stay light and relocate if nessecary.pop the first one and call frantically,the others will return.they will get smart quick and thats where the staying light comes in.move a hundred yards or so,resume calling the fun will start again :grooving: ,i have repeated this several times in a day and can call the same group of crows.they eventually catch on and become harder to lure in. :fingerhead:
Feather Seeker
hunter

Postby ic3breaker » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:30 pm

Crow hunting is great, they can be quite hard to hit. We don't use decoys all the time, but we made some card board silhouettes that we will stake down into the ground once in a while on the edge of a field or pit. It's pretty easy to learn how to call by mouth, your throat will get pretty raspy so keep some cough drops and something to drink with ya. One of the best ways we've hunted is to get on trails and put a guy on either side of the trail tucked in and just start calling. You'll hear the wings before you see the bird 90% of the time, but they have a hard time finding you sometimes so they will fly back and forth looking for you, so don't step out to shoot unless you are sure. Kill the first one in and you can get more to follow as that is often the sentry investigating, but even if you miss it can be worth it to keep calling cause sometimes they will keep coming.
ic3breaker
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum