Coyote Hunting with a .22

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Coyote Hunting with a .22

Postby Decoy King » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 am

Was getting ready to do some Coyote hunting and just wondering if any of u guys have used a .22 to hunt them with. I was gonna use just a .22 Long Rifle with hollow points. So tell me what ya think.
Decoy King
hunter

Re: Coyote Hunting with a .22

Postby ajmorell » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:59 am

22 works fine if you limit your range. I like the WMR over the long rifle, but even with the WMR I'd keep my shots inside 100 yards and use the heaviest bullet I could find.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:43 pm

ajmorell wrote:22 works fine if you limit your range. I like the WMR over the long rifle, but even with the WMR I'd keep my shots inside 100 yards and use the heaviest bullet I could find.

Ditto. Get a good shot placement and I'd recommend the CCI Stinger for a standard long rifle.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gregwile » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:
ajmorell wrote:22 works fine if you limit your range. I like the WMR over the long rifle, but even with the WMR I'd keep my shots inside 100 yards and use the heaviest bullet I could find.

Ditto. Get a good shot placement and I'd recommend the CCI Stinger for a standard long rifle.

I agree with them both. The nice thing about the standard .22 lr is it only makes a small hole which if you are selling the pelts it's a heck of a lot easier to sew up. I keep shots to within 50 yards with the .22lr and it does the job.
Don't dwell on the past, learn from it!
Take a Kid hunting and fishing.
gregwile
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:22 pm

gregwile wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:

I agree with them both. The nice thing about the standard .22 lr is it only makes a small hole which if you are selling the pelts it's a heck of a lot easier to sew up. I keep shots to within 50 yards with the .22lr and it does the job.

So does the WMR, you just gotta use the right type of bullet :thumbsup:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum