Starting trappin

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Starting trappin

Postby Remington1187 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:40 pm

Hy, me and my friend just started getting into trapping and varmit hunting. We have some leg traps.......with the two springs on them. What do we all need to do? Boil them, put wood dye on them, wax them? Any tips would help greatly! Thanx!
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:16 am

I usally just dye them but why in this day and age would you go with leg hold traps? Try out some of the conibear traps and the new leg hold snares as there is an international moratorium on the use of steel jawed leg hold traps and they are trying to do away with them for the most part.
For muskrat use submarrine traps, mink use 120 conibear set in a wooden box 2.5 ft long and 5.5 -6" on the inside with a slot cut out for the the trap to set down thru. put these boxes out about 1 week before the season and bait them the mink will get used to them and then you set your trap in it and presto mink on the first night or two, the use of the box keeps coons and other critters from stealing your bait and springing your traps, The use of any conibear trap with a jaw spread of more than 4.7 inches is restricted to, in or over water, or in a dog proof box, or where the trap is placed 5 ft or more off the ground. That is for here in NS. Hope this is of some help and btw it is recomended that you never wax or even dye conibear type traps as it makes them extremly dangerous to set. Good luck and good trapping :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Remington1187 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:57 am

I've seen the conibear traps and I always wondered how the heck you set them. My grandpa actually had a few of them, but since he passed away, they just sit in my grandmas basement. I think he has about a dozen of them. That'd be great if you or someone else could tell me how to set them! Thanx again!
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:05 pm

You set them by compressing the springs and separating the jaws then the V shaped wire trigger has a notch which the latch or dog fits up in and locks the jaws in plac till the trigger is tripped. Clear as mud right!
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Woodywoodduck2 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:49 am

Greg Wile wrote:You set them by compressing the springs and separating the jaws then the V shaped wire trigger has a notch which the latch or dog fits up in and locks the jaws in plac till the trigger is tripped. Clear as mud right!

You For got.

BE CAREFULL When Setting Conibears! They Snap you, it isn't like being Snapped by a Leg hold!

They Hurt and if they is the Big Ens for Beavers, can Break an arm!!

How Greg States is the way to set them, just BE CAREFULL!
Win a Kid over from PETA, teach them the Art of Conservation, not Animal Rights!
PA Needs LEGAL Sunday Hunting!
Woodywoodduck SSD
Woodywoodduck2
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum