Skinning your game

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Skinning your game

Postby Remington1187 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:46 pm

This might be a stupid, obvious question to you veteran trappers, but how do you skin your "catch?" Whats the most productive way? Thanks in advance!
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby 2labs » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:36 am

I always skin cased , never open.
2labs
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:17 pm

The only things that are open skinned are bears and beaver, the rest are case skinned.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Re: Skinning your game

Postby Rommel » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:39 am

Remington1187 wrote:This might be a stupid, obvious question to you veteran trappers, but how do you skin your "catch?" Whats the most productive way? Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Here's an idea for skinning I got from an e-book on trapping I bought.
You can see the e-book I'm quoting from here:

http://self-teaching.com/trapping/

Its a bloody good book. I've even figured how to use one of the traps in it to catch kangaroos with (I'm an Aussy)

There's lots of stuff on shinning each various American animals scattered throughout the e-book so I'll just post a bit here I thought was good about the fox:

"...To skin the fox the pelt should be first ripped down each hind leg to the vent. The skin being cut loose around this point, the bone of the tail should next be removed. This may be done by holding a split stick tightly over the bone after which the latter may be easily pulled out of the skin.
The hide should then be drawn back, and carefully removed, working with caution around the legs, and particularly so about the eyes, ears, and lips when these points are reached. The skin should be stretched as described on page 332

Hope this was a bit helpful. Happy Trapping;)
Kind regards
Rommel
Rommel
Newb

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum