??? Night hunting Coyote's

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

??? Night hunting Coyote's

Postby sea duck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:28 pm

I been hunting coyote's for a few year's now mostly at night, I can get them to howl and let me now where they are but not where i can shot them.They seem to stay just out where I can't seem them. I have tried E-call's and mouth call's does not seem to make a difference. Any help or suggestion would be greatful thanks.
sea duck
hunter

Re: ??? Night hunting Coyote's

Postby JTrottaNY » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:55 am

Are you strictly using vocalizations? Distress calls should elicit more visitors than howls...
JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby sea duck » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:55 pm

I use distress calls and howl's. I know there around I can hear then just can't seal the deal.
sea duck
hunter

Postby JTrottaNY » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Try just using distress calls... Vocalizations are very difficult to learn and if you are doing them incorrectly or at the wrong time you may be making them suspicious. I have taken many predators but for that very reason I rarely howl. The other thing is that a howl will instantly clear a fox out of the area, why not give your self the chance to call one of them in too?

Also play the wind, watch cross wind as most will circle about a 100yds or at a field edge/hedge row and get down wind to try and confirm with scent what they are hearing. Occasionally youll get an overzealous dog that charges right at you but those dont live long!
JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby sea duck » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Thank's for the info will keep on trying it's to much fun.
sea duck
hunter

Postby cONG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:20 am

how do u see them at night?
cONG
hunter

Postby sea duck » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:37 am

No. I can hear them talking. Just can't seal the deal.
sea duck
hunter

Postby JTrottaNY » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:53 pm

cONG wrote:how do u see them at night?

Red lights; when used correctly dont spook the animals. Their eyes are as bright or brighter than reflectors. It exciting to see eyes from 400+ yards out in a field as they respond and get into a range you can ID and make a good shot. Also exciting when you think nothing is around and suddenly a set of bright orange eyes pop out from a hedge row 20-30 yards in front of you!! Check you tube for "Coyote hunting night"...
JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby alhersch » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:17 pm

I've had them come in strictly on coyote vocals, but most times I like to use a young non-threatening howl to locate them. Then I either relocate to get closer or wait 5 minutes or so and start into a distress call. You can never predict what a coyote will do, or if it will even respond to your call. During mating season a female mating howl works wonders!!!!

Also, pay very close attention to where your scent is going when you walk in and where you stand/sit to call. For wind/scent control an e-caller excels far beyond a handcall. I still use hand calls at times, but anymore it's easier to use the e-caller. Most ppl like to hunt with the wind in their face but they know where to expect the coyote to come from. I don't have the time to scout my properties to that extent, so I generally play the down wind game when I call.

Al
alhersch
hunter

Postby cjg » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:46 am

cONG wrote:how do u see them at night?

Don't doubt the power of the red light, it works.
cjg
hunter

Postby sea duck » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:11 pm

cjg what part of maine are you in.
sea duck
hunter

Postby quackback » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:19 am

Sea Duck, any updates?? Just wondering if you've had any success here in So Maine. Was thinking about it myself, just wondering if it's worth buying a caller, light etc. Hope your slayin' em, the deer appreciate it. Jason
quackback
hunter

Postby JTrottaNY » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:42 pm

quackback wrote:Sea Duck, any updates?? Just wondering if you've had any success here in So Maine. Was thinking about it myself, just wondering if it's worth buying a caller, light etc. Hope your slayin' em, the deer appreciate it. Jason

You dont need an e-caller... you can get a mouth call and a light for under $100 total. A lot of the shotgun hunters I know prefer not to use lights, just call em in close in the thick stuff. Its kinda like duck hunting, U can spend $1000+ getting setup or you can go minimalist and still be successful.

Have had great success hunting the ice, they seem to spend lots of time mousing in the cattails and the hardpack is easy walking, give it a try save a Duck or two :wink:
JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby JTrottaNY » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:47 pm

JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby quackback » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:41 am

Thanks for the info, I've got a mouth call and a shotgun so maybe I'll give it a shot.
quackback
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum