?? Conibear tactics for beaver ??

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

?? Conibear tactics for beaver ??

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:23 am

Ive been trapping a beaver pond for several days now with a couple 330s with only empty traps every morning. Im placing the traps in runs that go up under the bank. How else can I get these 330s to work for me? I thought about trying a dive stick with the trap wired to the underside but wouldnt have a clue where to place it. I do know theyre there. One morning before work I went to check my traps in the dark and I could hear them smacking their tails on the water. Theyre teasing me. I dont have any legholds or snares, just the 330s, any tips would be appreciated. The beaver is worth more to me than what the fur market is paying so I plan on getting it tanned to hang on the wall. This will be my first beaver. Please help me out.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Re: ?? Conibear tactics for beaver ??

Postby stephen33 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:53 pm

I saw that this has sat for a while so i figured Id take a stab at it. First I will say there are trapping specific forums that are very full of info if you still need more info pm me and I can send you a few links. Im not sure what type of pond you are trapping and I am assuming based on the time of year you are not trapping them under ice. I am not sure what you mean by runs that go under the bank. If these are holes about a foot across these are probably dens up under the bank and you will need to determine which are active. the active ones are probably going to be six inches to five feet below the surface. If there are large mounds of fresh sticks and mud these may also be the active dens. (check the regs in your state regarding distacbe traps must be set back from these structures). if you can find narrow runs going between dens and food sources theses can be fenced down with sticks and a dive stick placed across. this will force the beaver through the trap. I could go on and on but I will leave you with one set that i like. Look for a narrow run, these are usually about 4 feet across going into wet areas around the edge of the pound. secure your trap to about an eight foot pole( I run the pole through the springs of the trap) and lay it across the run with the trap fully under water( required by law where I trap )then block of the rest of the run with sticks. then further up the run build a pile of mud and wet leaves and sprinkle with castor lure which can be found where ever you get the rest or ur trapping supplies. hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions.
stephen33
hunter

Re: ?? Conibear tactics for beaver ??

Postby Decoy King » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:04 am

In my experience my favorite sets are right on the den. In my state you are allowed conibears outta the water. All i do it take a stick and dig a hole all the way into the den. Then I set the trap about 6 feet in front of the hole and make a blockade with sticks to force the beaver through the trap. I have never had luck with the Castor mound set for some reason always do better this way. I have got a 45, 30, and 63 pounder this year like this. All on the same dam and there are about 3 more in there.
Decoy King
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum