What Am I Doing Wrong?

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

What Am I Doing Wrong?

Postby PA Waterfowler » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi all, a purchased a Johnny Stewert E caller last year, the one with the cord less remote, and can't get anything to come in to it. I use Cals Knine confusion spray while hunting. I think I 've tried all the sounds on it to no avail. I know there are yotes and fox where I go, but nothing is coming in. I would like to know if I'm doing something wrong, or is it just my bad luck? How long should I play the sounds for and wait around at each spot?

Does any one mind telling me what whole coons, fox, and yotes are bring these days? I'm in South Central PA. If they are not very high, thers no sense me setting any traplines, since gas is so $$$$. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks, PA Waterfowler
PA Waterfowler
hunter

Re: What Am I Doing Wrong?

Postby rrkyle » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:02 pm

Go get a real call and learn how to do it yourself. Its real easy to learn the rabbit squeals and puppy distress and will work alot better for you.
rrkyle
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Try without the spray too. You might be spooking them. I've never hunted yotes by calling them, but their sense of smell is really good and if there's anything they don't like they aren't going to it.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:39 pm

what to kill coyotes? its very simple. go spotlighting and kill the biggest hog you can. take the backstraps as they are all that will be worth a darn. come back the next morning, sit on the bed of a truck 100-200 yards away and kill the coyotes when they come to eat the hog.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby PA Waterfowler » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:14 pm

To bad we don't have hogs here in South Central PA!!!!
PA Waterfowler
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:04 pm

PA Waterfowler wrote:To bad we don't have hogs here in South Central PA!!!!

want some? we have plenty to spare!
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby PA Waterfowler » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Yea, I wouldn't mind blowin away some hogs!!! Sounds like fun!!
PA Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:42 pm

Trust me, you don't want them.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:54 pm

aggiechiro wrote:what to kill coyotes? its very simple. go spotlighting and kill the biggest hog you can. take the backstraps as they are all that will be worth a darn. come back the next morning, sit on the bed of a truck 100-200 yards away and kill the coyotes when they come to eat the hog.

Do it that way if thats your thing. But if you want the excitement of it, learn to call them with a mouth call. I promise you if u get the hang of it u will never go the lazy way again..........
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby floating redneck » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:02 pm

you cant call a yote that cant hear you make lots of stands in different areas to try to be within hearing range of moving predators keep stands at 15 mins tops keep an eye out down wind and sit still
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Go where the coyotes want to be - look for kills, tracks, scat and tufts on fur on thick cover. Once you have an idea where they frequent, slip in under cover - in other words try to infiltrate the area by moving in along a ridge or in a depression or saddle for example. Then, set up your caller 25-50 yards out & wait 5-10 mind to start your sequence.

You will.hear 100 different opinions on calling sequences, which change with the season. For winter and fall here is my tactic - play sequences of cottontail or jack distress (whichever rabbit is more plentiful in your area, use) play for 1-2 minutes and then stop for 2-5 minutes. Then repeat same process for 20-30 mind, I would reccomend no longer than 45 mind. Per blind / stand. If after a few stands you get no shots or dogs in on rabbit, switch to coyote pup distress - same calling order and timeline. If you get any dogs that are hanging up really far out.or wont commit to rabbit distress, switch to coyote pup distress, which can get them to commit many times.

Scent - using too much cover scent is thought to spook coyotes, especially if its an odor completely foreign to them or if they're less dominant dogs and they smell what they think is a bigger / alpha male. I like the neutral or 'dirt' cover scent for myself and my face in the wind. Also helps to handwash you camo, airdry it and not wash it with the fancy soap momma uses (like my wife). I like to handwash my gear with baking soda and water, my verdict is still out on the 'hunting detergent' all soap is is a surfactant - which breaks down surface tension of water - so I use cheap, fragrance free hypoallergenic soap.

Stands - solid cover and concealment is paramount, get some shade and cast no shadows.

I use the johnny stewart PM4 preymaster and have a body count that has been called in with that device. Just be persistent and scout the hell out of your spots and you can make some coyotes die.

Hope you can get some kills - its really exciting and rewarding to get a dead coyote that you fooled. Regardless of how you call whether its ecaller or mouth calls.

Lest I not forget - master squeaking with your lips which takes about 11 seconds or get a small squeak caller, it is also a good tool to get dogs in those last few.yards if they're hung up or apprehensive
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby jacob321 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:28 pm

:biggrin: I agree with you too :hammer:
Preacher1011 wrote:Trust me, you don't want them.
jacob321
hunter

Postby pahunter1 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:44 am

PA,
i am in your area... i will do the "unthinkable" and tell you where to go... I run a trapline and have taken 20 yotes and a lot more fox in the area last season... it you want to hunt them, try up by caledonia (north of rt 30) along 233. I would set -up in the old lake they drained, set up on the road side and call/shoot towards the far bank, down at the old breast and and up towards the other end. also if you can get in someplace by the sand quarry. also in edinville and the backside of letterkenny (game land fields) are populated.
use rabbit squeals / woodpecker (very limited) / pup yelps in the spring. I have also called one in using my turkey call by mildly hen clucking up there in letterkenny.
as far as scents, pretend you are deer hunting, go scent free or like "dirt". not one of my catches have been off of the commercial "attractant" scents. many have been unscented/unbaited traps.
go very early in the morning (before daybreak) or late evening (last light plus an hour or two). take a red light, don't shine directly at your "target" or remote caller set-up (just enough to light the way for your bullet). call quietly and limited (above post).
they are there! but they also know YOU are there as well... the dogs around here have been chased / called / shot at and whatever alot and are very shy! that is why i more or less gave up hunting them and pretty much only trap. spent way to many nights getting frustrated with little to "results"...

hope it helps. hope no one takes offense of posting the "where" just thinking that the yote population is starting to explode around here and they need thinned a bit...
Just an Average "Joe" hunting the "Keystone State"
pahunter1
hunter

Postby scastle » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:53 am

watch your volume, start low and build with each calling time
scastle
hunter

Postby McDerry » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:36 am

Give this guys e book a read, hes got alot of good information to cover the bases.

http://scienceofthehunt.com
McDerry
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum