box trap for a coyote

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

box trap for a coyote

Postby JoeP » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:59 pm

Hey guys, anyone know a website that I can get plans on how to build a box trap big enough to catch a coyote? I live in Mass and you cant trap in this state anymore unless you have a special permit. However you can use a have a heart trap but one big enough for a coyote cost a mint. I have seen the big box traps before with wire in the back of the box with a big door that drops when the animal grabs the bait but I never took the time to see how it was made. I have heard that a coyote wont go in one but then some people say they have trapped them before in this type of trap? Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks JoeP
JoeP
State Moderator

Postby take EM' close » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:26 pm

I agree.....a coyote is way to smart to go into a box. I say don't waste your money or time because I seriously don't think you're going to catch anything. Unless the coyotes are VERY HUNGRY then they MIGHT go in but if they're just any normal dog.....DON'T COUNT ON IT!! :beer:

Hope this helps!! :salude:

Curt
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby JoeP » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:52 am

Curt, I had a feeling that they wont go in. The people that said that they have caught them before in this type of trap even said they had to doctor it up good. They said dont paint the box let it sit outside to let the wood fade. Also said to make the floor of the box like the surroundings, put leaves, pine needles, dirt, etc on the floor of the box, then put sticks around it to camo it out. If this would work it would great because the property that I would be putting the trap on has a bunch of log and branch piles on it from clean ups. I wanted to put the box in one of the log piles with a big juicy hunk of meat. But like you said maybe it wont work?

JoeP
JoeP
State Moderator

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum