What went Wrong?

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

What went Wrong?

Postby Woodywoodduck2 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:00 am

Got 2 tapes for Christmas for calling Fox and Coyotes.

A Buddy and I went out last night and did some calling.

we set the Tape Recorder up in the field and went back about 50 yards from it into the Brush.

The Field is about 150 yards Wide. From the Brush/Woods were we were at out into the field about 70 yards is all snow.

we sat there while the tape played for about 20 minutes.

We are watching and from the other side of the field a Fox comes on a DEAD Run.

He was about 30 yards East of the Tape player and running straight for it on an angle.

He got to the Snow Line and when he hit the Snow Line, He Angled Toward the Tape player and Did a Complete Turn and Went back to the other side of the field.

All on a Dead Run!

We sat there and let the Tape Finish!

Thought he was going to make a Circle, which he never did!

Any thoughts of what may have gone Wrong?

This is the First Fox, I have had come in while calling with a Tape.

I've called before with a Tape and also a Call and never had anything show up!

The tape was of a Wounded/Screaming Cotton Tail Rabbit!
Win a Kid over from PETA, teach them the Art of Conservation, not Animal Rights!
PA Needs LEGAL Sunday Hunting!
Woodywoodduck SSD
Woodywoodduck2
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:45 am

He may have smelt you or the tape player(your scent on or around it). How close was he to the palyer. When I call fox, I have one person with a shotgun and one with a rifle.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Iluvetwins » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:42 pm

i agree what he said. how loud was it playing when the fox got that close it might of been to loud for him also. maybe try adding a decoy of a small rabbit or something. (stuffed animal fur to cover the tape player) to make it look more like a rabbit.
phutch30 wrote:He may have smelt you or the tape player(your scent on or around it). How close was he to the palyer. When I call fox, I have one person with a shotgun and one with a rifle.
Iluvetwins
hunter

Postby Woodywoodduck2 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:29 pm

phutch30 wrote: How close was he to the palyer. .

About 20 yards from the Tape Player, About 50-60 yards from us!
I had my Shotgun with 3.5 4's and my buddy didn't bring anything.

He thought, he could not carry anything unless he had a Furtakers License.
He could have, because we were after both Fox and Coyote and we have seen 1 coyote in this area. All ya need is a General Hunting License for the Yotes!

I Do want to get an "Extention Cord" with a Speaker so I can have the tape player at my feet and the sound out infront of me!
Win a Kid over from PETA, teach them the Art of Conservation, not Animal Rights!
PA Needs LEGAL Sunday Hunting!
Woodywoodduck SSD
Woodywoodduck2
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:48 pm

The "extension" cord is what i use. I can put the speaker out 50 feet in front of me and i have a rabbit the spins and shakes that I put right beside it. Then you can adjust the volume and the type of sound depending on your sending unit.

From what you said, the fox either smelled you or the tape was too loud when he got closer to it. If they have been shot at before, they learn quickly. Try misting next time, for the scent issue. Fill a spray bottle with fox/coyote urine and water and spray a fine mist into the air, and alot of it. Too much "safe" scent confuses them. There is a great article in one the predator hunting mag about it.

Good luck and keep at it.
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum