All right...........now what?

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

All right...........now what?

Postby choclab » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:42 am

What do I do after I skin my coyotes? Do I salt the hides or what. I have never saved hides off of my deer or elk, so I really don't know how to tan or flesh or anything. I would like to get the coyote hide into a sellable form. I'm not trying to make a million bucks or anything, but any little money made hunting coyotes would make my wife let me hunt more, (with less complaning). I put alot of money into hunting and any return would make my life sooooo much easier. Any advice would be very welcomed. Thanks.

Josh
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:45 pm

Find a traper or fur buyer near you to show you the ropes or buy one of the fur handling videos to show you how to finnish your fur. Basically you have to scrape the excess flesh and fat of the hide and then put it on a proper sized stretcher. I would find someone local to show you how.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:04 pm

I was woundering how you skined the coyote? Open skinned is a no, no unless you are turning it into a rug. Everything but beaver and bear is case skinned. I will look up my info on the sizes of boards for fox, cats, and coyotes for you tomorrow. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby choclab » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:28 am

Thanks Greg. I just tube skin them I guess. Are raw or "green" pelts worth anything?
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:55 pm

All hides/pelts sold at the fur sales/auctions are untanned or green. They are streached and dried after being fleshed. My advise to you is to get a video on trapping/fur handling and watch it or as previously stated talk with a local trapper. An other good source of information is the Fur Fish And Game magazine.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Daniel Peterson » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:22 pm

Where could you get a video on the subject? whats a really good one?
Daniel Peterson
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum