Favorite E-caller

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Re: Favorite E-caller

Postby TomKat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:52 am

I have been running the Spitfire, it sounds great.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby FMFdevildoc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:40 am

I own and use the Johnny Stewart PM4 'Prey Master' - I am very satisfied with it's performance.

Battery life - 8/10
Durability - 10/10
Sound - 8 to.9/10
Wireless range - 9/10 (for line of sight / relatively flat terrain)

PROS: I like the interchangeable sound cards, which in my experience, like the entire apparatus are very robust and durable. I have used the device in super hot high desert, moist riparian and -8 snow conditions. It sounds fairly good and I like the jack rabbit calling sequence that came stock with the device. The wounded coyote pup is pretty good too, both alone or used alternating have called predators to their death. You can order a separate 'coyote bark, howl, etc' card or a rabbit variations card... if e-callers are legal for snow geese in your area, it has a pretty good snow goose sound card too. There are numerous soundcards available, which I have found online and in stores ranging from $19.00-$30.00, bass pro shops had turkey call cards for $12.00 clearance even (e-callers are illegal for turkey & most other game animals here in California, predators are legal)

CONS - the factory pre-loaded sound cards have some cheesy sequences & you can only use Johnny Stewart brand sound cards. The buttons on the remote can sometimes act up (hard to press to start / stop) perhaps it is a design issue, although it generally occured when it was extremely cold. The wireless functions well; except when battery life is low - then the remote is hard pressed to communicate with the speaker unit. The speaker is green, yet it could be a bit less glossy.

Overall I give this product an 8-9/10; not just because I own one. I fully intended to get a Foxpro, for the venerable and proven durability, wireless capabilities + MP3 features... but I never could save 300+ for a caller. So 2 years ago I was given this as a gift, which came as a surprise - 2 days later, this call was 50 yards in front of me - with a dead coyote 20 yards away from it.

If I had to do it all over, I would get a Foxpro - which also have the dangling / moving / integrated fuzzy tail decoy thing... but I will probably never do so. For 150-200 (half the price) I already have a durable, proven e-caller.

So if you're a bells & whistles guy Foxpro is great; but the J.S. + $15.00 rabbit decoy has proven to be damn effective for me as well.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:16 am

duckwhispererer wrote:Does it have good range? The place I hunt is 600+ acres and want to have plenty of range at one set.

600 acres? Is that enough land to even hold a coyote? :lol:

I think it does a fine job. I have hunted with the Preymaster and knew that of the two, the Spitfire was the way to go. Do you think you have more range than where I hunt in KANSAS?

You starting to get the picture here?

Trust me, the Spitfire will work just fine in your 600 acre patch.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby TomKat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:35 am

Come on up and hunt here, you can tell me if you think it is loud enough for you.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby loudnerd » Thu May 26, 2011 9:24 am

Phantom calls makes great calls also. I have one of the pro-series for long distance coyote and moose hunting then one of the mini-phantoms for deer, crow and quick coyote hunts. I like the fact I can just swap the sound cards and hunt another critter. I am also biased since the company is based out of Maine haha.
He who laughs last didn't get it.
loudnerd
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum