My coyote hunting trip went well- GRAPHIC PICTURES

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Postby TomKat » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:40 pm

Some hunts are better than other ones-

I took off after work on Fri and hooked up with my calling partner Scot. We got up early on Sat and went to our first stand. We called in a dog- a farm dog. So we loaded up and went to another stand we were familiar with. After we ran the call for a while, I spotted a coyote on a distant hill side. I took this picture from where I was sitting to show the view. The coyote was standing on the far hill to the right of the tree in the foreground.

His body language told me he wasn't going to come in any closer, and was probably going to head over that hill and be gone forever. I had a pretty good rest and decided to take the shot. Turns out, it was a good shot. I wacked him at about 300 yards with a .223 55 grn Nosler Ballistic tip, shot from a single shot NEF Handyrifle. Here he is after I recovered him.

Here is the stand I was sitting at...a pile of dirt on a pond dam. You can see my shooting sticks still there.

later that afternoon, we called in a young dog. He was about 40 yards away, looking at the decoy when I cut him down with a .243

This morning I got up and continued the murder spree. This one was shot at 30 yards with the same .243.

Needless to say, it was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to a great season based on my early success. I love coyote hunting, and I give credit to everything I know about the sport to Jehler...his tag lines says he is an expert!!!
Last edited by TomKat on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomKat
Dorothy

Re: My coyote hunting trip went well-

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:12 pm

No coyote hunters on the forum?
Last edited by TomKat on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:03 pm

TK, how much dog shootin do you do in late Dec early Jan?
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:45 am

It just depends on my schedule and the weather. I won't go if there is more than a 10 mph wind. But that's not a bad time of year to go. Is that when you go?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Sublime250 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:32 am

What call are you using?
Sublime250
hunter

Re: My coyote hunting trip went well- GRAPHIC PICTURES

Postby TomKat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:09 am

Using a Foxpro Fury, dogs were responding to cottontail in distress.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:32 am

Looks like a lot of fun... :thumbsup:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:23 am

TomKat wrote:It just depends on my schedule and the weather. I won't go if there is more than a 10 mph wind. But that's not a bad time of year to go. Is that when you go?

Thats when I come down to Kansas to visit family & hunt ducks. The place we duck is hunt is overrun with coyotes.

Why won't you hunt in the wind? Call won't carry or long shots get tough?

I imagine that limits your hunting days in KA.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:27 am

Bill Herian wrote:
TomKat wrote:It just depends on my schedule and the weather. I won't go if there is more than a 10 mph wind. But that's not a bad time of year to go. Is that when you go?

Thats when I come down to Kansas to visit family & hunt ducks. The place we duck is hunt is overrun with coyotes.

Why won't you hunt in the wind? Call won't carry or long shots get tough?

I imagine that limits your hunting days in KA.

both of those things, but mostly they are not active on very windy days. I just dont waste my time on it any more.

I get in plenty of hunting days Bill :biggrin: Right after a big snow its usually calm, and its a great time to go out.

Where is your family at?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:00 am

Wichita area. One uncle in Augusta. It's always my favorite trip of the year.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby DanJeffandJack » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:32 pm

Bill Herian wrote:Wichita area. One uncle in Augusta. It's always my favorite trip of the year.

you need to stop in KC on 35s and me GKR and TK can take ya on a hunt.
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:06 pm

Awesome TomKat. Curious, how many dawgs you shoot a year? I'm working on some lighter coyote loads for my .260. I realize it may be a wee bit large for dawgs, but it sure is a great gun too shoot at long ranges. I'm thinking of 100gr A-Max bullets?
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:08 pm

Normaly about 8-10 a year. If I could go more often it would be more. 90 % of those are shot under 100 yards.

.260- I never shot one, but I am sure its a good one. Look at the reloading data and get a bullet that shoots flat and is fast. Good luck! Coyote hunting takes lots of patience and a little luck thrown in.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:21 pm

.260 is a great 'lil gun and got its first taste of coyote blood last spring, on the range finder it was 208yds but I have a feeling that the heat mirage may have skewed range findings. At that time I was shooting my normal load of 129gr. going 2800fps, which needless to say did considerable damage. Although it already shoots very flat trajectories, I'm thinking something in the 95-100gr range. I'll have to start on coming up with loads and testing/sighting in with them next spring once it dries out a bit.

I quickly found out how difficult hunting these clever dawgs can be, its a challenge but the excitement is awesome. It really does take a few mishaps to have success. :biggrin:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:25 pm

Btw Tomkat, do you range your shots with a rangefinder or with any other method before taking a shot?
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:27 am

I have never owned a rangefinder.

I played a lot of golf when I was younger, and golf is all about marked distances. I am pretty good at guessing distance from 300 yards in. And honestly, most of us have no business taking a shot at a coyote beyond that any ways.

When I first get to the stand I start looking at natural objects around me and guessing what the distance is, for a reference. I look at something around that 300 yard mark as the outside of what I want to shoot at. I prefer the 60 to 100 yard shot to all others.

When you get really good at calling them in, they will be closer than 100 yards from you 90% of the time. Anyone that packs a big glass on a gun is not doing it right, IMO. 3 x 9 is a good way to go. You can always dial it up, but you can NEVER dial it down fast enough. My AR15 has a 1.5 x6 scope on it, and my Handyrifle in .223 has a 2 x 7 on it. The rest of my guns have 3 x 9 Bushnell Elite 3200's on them. You will be surprised at how close they will suddenly appear to you. Nothing is tougher than trying to find a moving 40 yard coyote in a scope set at 6,7,8, 9 power.

I always start on the lowest (widest field of view) power to start out with.
I have stopped a number of them at 60-100 yards that were going to come in all the way. I bark at them, they stop, I shoot. Out go the lights.

The shooting is a side note to HUNTING them. If you do the rest of it correctly, shooting comes as second nature.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby foldinducks » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:44 pm

ever hunt em at night with a shotgun?
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:58 pm

No sir, its illegal here. But I bet its fun!
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby c14smalls » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Nice shootin, on my next trip I will get some pics. We are over run with yotes and bobcats at our deer lease. The landowner is a big quail hunter but due to the amount of vermins the quail numbers are dropping. So to keep the landowner happy I have been doing so predator control out there. Shot 8 yotes and 13 bobcats all only on 1200 acres in two years now. I typically use soft point 55gr out of my .223 but I just got some Barnes hollow points and want to see what damage I can do with those. :thumbsup:
c14smalls
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:21 am

How long do you usually stay per stand before you move?

I'd like to go for some this winter. I know where you are hunting and where I will be are completely different... but just curious.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:05 pm

Never less than 30 minutes, or more than 40. That seems to work. A few times I have been at the 20-303 min mark getting ready to pack up and have them appear.

A tip for ya-
after you shoot, dont move. Keep calling and wait another 5 mins. I have got a number of doubles by doing this.
TomKat
Dorothy

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum